Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Recovery Program Chaplain to join the Women and Children’s Ministries team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Recovery Program Chaplain functions to work with a team of staff to help create a safe, healing environment for women and children in a Christian residential program. Part of a 24-hour team that provides advocacy-based and spiritual counseling, information, referral and support services to program guests.
Our Women and Children’s Ministries team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
This position supports the Ministry of the Women and Childrens Recovery program (WCM) at Hope Place. They will be providing high quality spiritual leadership for guest and staff through bible studies, weekly chapel and spiritual direction.
Essential Job Duties
- Provide pastoral care for all guests and staff at Hope Place.
- Conduct pastoral and crisis counseling when needed and recommend appropriate plan of action for any guest you meet with.
- Become an expert in the chosen addiction recovery curriculum.
- Meet weekly with supervisor and recovery team to discuss status of any pertinent program information.
- Maintain caseload and meet with guests one-on-one to help them walk through their spiritual journey.
- Record, report, and maintain required records and statistical information including input into work therapy schedules and recovery program.
- Facilitate Genesis support groups and bible instruction
- Administer observed urine collections for guests.
- Lead daily prayer time.
- Lead weekly devotions for guests and staff.
- Conduct interviews with new program guest to gauge their spiritual journey.
- Maintain a positive, pleasant, professional Christian attitude. Work with other staff to forge and model transparent and supportive Christian relationships which will serve as a leadership example for recovery program men.
- Seattles Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All staff are encouraged to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization. All employees are expected to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and training, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattles Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Missions Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattles Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Possess a valid Washington State Drivers License and be able to meet the standards of the Mission driver criteria required, including but not limited to:
- Clean driving record
- No current suspensions or revocations
- At least 21 years of age
- Maintain strong knowledge of MRP addiction recovery curriculum
- Knowledge and understanding of case management standards and practices required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and Word required.