About the Role
As the Food Safety and Quality Manager you will be a key member of the Quality and Regulatory team responsible for providing strategic direction and implementation of all necessary food safety and quality programs and ensuring the safety, quality, and regulatory compliance of JUST branded products. This individual must demonstrate strong leadership skills with the ability to act collaboratively, proactively, and consistently engaged to find solutions that bring forth new ideas to achieve JUST objectives.
The Food Safety and Quality Manager owns two key functions: 1) Contract and External Partner Manufacturing and 2) Quality Systems. One of the two may be the primary focus, depending on background and team needs. Willingness and ability to shift responsibilities and focus to address business needs is a mandatory part of this role.
Contract and External Partner Manufacturing
- Provide strategic direction and guidance for the development, implementation, and compliance of all necessary quality programs at manufacturing facilities (contract, internal, and licensing as applicable), warehouses and raw material suppliers
- Work closely with the JUST R&D teams to ensure food safety requirements and quality standards are incorporated in the development process; provide support during plant trials and production runs for product launches
- Responsible for ensuring JUST manufacturing partners are onboarded and qualified prior to commercial production – this includes driving and coordinating all related activities
- Audit and review manufacturing partners’ facilities and quality systems to ensure compliance with JUST Food Safety and QA expectations
- Ensure new ingredients and new suppliers are qualified prior to their use in JUST products
- Manage relationships with external manufacturing quality departments, monitor performance against JUST procedures, specifications and KPIs. Work in partnership with external partner quality contacts to resolve quality issues and complaints in a timely manner
- Lead the design, creation, implementation and maintenance of JUST Corporate and Manufacturing (Internal and External) Quality Management Systems by working cross-functionally with internal and external partners
- Manage, administer and drive continuous implementation for all applicable electronic databases and software related to Food Safety Quality Assurance and provide training to relevant stake-holders
- Provide onboarding and continued education for employees - ensuring their knowledge and implementation of food safety guidelines is current and compliant with JUST and regulatory guidelines
- Manage internal Food Safety and Quality controlled document systems, nonconformance, CAPA, Change Control, internal audit activities, and other Food Safety and Quality related programs
- Develop product evaluation programs including quality scoring, gold standard, shelf life, etc. and tools to monitor internal performance metrics and drive continuous improvement
- Manage internal raw material and supplier review programs which include risk assessment, food safety & quality programs review, and overall adherence to FSMA and regulatory requirements
Education and Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Food Science, Microbiology, or similar degree
- At least 5 years of progressive food industry experience in food safety and quality assurance
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years of experience in leading an FDA/or USDA-regulated factory food safety and quality program
- Experience in developing, implementing, certifying and reliably maintaining GFSI food safety and quality management programs
- Proven track record of acting as a food and safety expert making business and quality risk-based decisions and recommendations based on scientific, regulatory and quality evidence
Skills & Qualifications
- Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI), Better Process Control School (BCCS), and HACCP certifications preferred
- Excellent critical thinking and time management skills – ability to act on your feet and prioritize
- Strong ability to confidently and effectively communicate strategic guidance and objectives to enable cross-functional collaboration to set the gold standard for quality and food safety
- In-depth knowledge of food microbiology, product sampling plans and environmental monitoring programs as well as US FDA FSMA regulations, one or more GFSI schemes, and cGMPs
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced rapidly changing environment
Additional Information & Requirements
This is a full-time position. Travel up to 50% is typical for the role. While there will be standard days and hours of work, the positions requires overnight on-call duty and the ability to work during non-standard hours when the need arises.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. JUST participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.