The Environmental and Sustainability Strategist will analyze the museums environmental impact and, along with museum management and with feedback from the museums Environmental Council (EC), set policy goals and objectives and support benchmarks to assure that the museum meets those goals. The reporting structure for this position will be determined. The Environmental and Sustainability Strategist will be involved in all aspects of museum sustainability initiatives, including exhibition sustainability, museum-wide carbon negativity, solar support, infrastructure greening, water review, recycling, waste reduction, education, and employee empowerment.
- In partnership with museum leadership and members of the EC, create a leading model of sustainability for MOCA through thoughtful stewardship of resources and the environment; Lead the development, evaluation, and implementation of energy efficiency and environmentally responsible projects.
- Foster a dialogue with staff around sustainability, incorporating staff needs and limitations into program development; coordinate with staff on program initiatives; Work with museum staff to field and implement staff-requested sustainability upgrades; work with individual departments to assess the environmental impact and make recommendations to reduce.
- Supports museum environmental goals toward carbon-neutral, zero-waste, 100% renewable energy, and science-based targets for 2030 and beyond; develops programs and initiatives to help achieve goals and establishes the correct KPIs to measure performance against goals and dashboard to include reporting framework.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices in responsible sourcing and sustainable operations and ongoing competitive benchmarking to keep abreast of important landscape changes; Partner and engage with third party associations and/or multi-stakeholder initiatives, as appropriate.
- Coordinate with museum leadership and advise on all projects that may include fit-outs, retrofits, building upgrades, energy and sustainability projects, new development, advisory, and custom sustainability toolkit development.
- Collaborates closely with the Director of Collection and Exhibitions, Curators, and external Installation Designers to develop protocols for more efficient shipping & packaging carbon smart shipping efforts.
- Fosters relationships and builds philanthropy with patrons at MOCA; collaborates with Advancement Department on grant and foundation requests.
- Serve as primary liaison between staff and EC; Attend EC meetings as requested; Develop written quarterly reports of progress for the EC and quarterly EC newsletters for the museum staff.
- Balance the EC budget, including incoming and outgoing grants council dues, and handle the GHG inventory, budget, and calculations.
- Coordinate with Communications Department and advise on environmental and sustainability social media posts, press releases, and other messaging.
- Accurately and efficiently maintain systems and records consistent with all local and national codes, including hazardous materials, right to know, preventative maintenance, historic preservation, and other documentation required by law and best practice standards.
- Champion the museums strategic initiatives and vision, providing enthusiastic leadership that strengthens MOCA and builds positive workplace culture; Support MOCAs strategic goal to advance a culture of inclusivity and diversity.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.