Middle School Visual Art and Theatre Teacher
Fort Worth Country Day is seeking a highly qualified, experienced and dynamic teacher with experience in Art and/or Theatre. Reporting to the Director of Fine Arts, this experienced teacher will serve as the Middle School Visual Art/Theatre Teacher to begin with the 2021 - 2022 school year.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- This is a half Theatre and half Art position for grades 5 through 8
- Teach visual art to include, but not limited to drawing, painting, sculpture and textile design
- Teach theatre to include an 8th grade small production
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and administrative members in integrating curricula
- Support all school programs as needed
- Support field learning and outdoor educational trips
- Take advantage of professional growth opportunities and present learning to the community
- Advise on classroom design, educational technology and other learning equipment and materials
- Attendance and participation during admission events
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Ideas about moving education forward in dynamic ways
- Experience in independent schools
- The ability to teach students at different levels of development and will think broadly and creatively about student-centered learning
- Demonstrated recent professional/personal growth
- Experience teaching Art and related skills at appropriate grade levels
- The ability to scope and sequence student learning experiences in collaboration with other faculty across the disciplines
- An understanding of and sensitivity to adolescent challenges
- An ability to communicate high expectations and standards for student learning and to provide detailed feedback on student work in a timely manner
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to social justice, equity and inclusion
- A sincere commitment to the work of inclusion and diversity, specifically as articulated in the FWCD Inclusivity Statement
- An advanced degree in Art and/or Theatre is preferred
- Minimum three to five years’ experience teaching at the middle school level preferred
All employees of FWCD must:
- Model the core values (Respect, Responsibility, Kindness, Courage, Integrity and Scholarship)
- Exhibit generous community spirit, professional flexibility, a sense of humor and a positive attitude
- Collaborate and work well with students, parents and colleagues
- Execute duties in a positive and punctual manner
- Be an enthusiastic lifelong learner driven toward professional self-improvement and personal growth
Equal Opportunity Employer / Statement of Inclusivity:
Fort Worth Country Day is an Equal Opportunity Employer that maintains a policy of nondiscrimination with respect to all employees and applicants for employment. Employment decisions at FWCD are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and performance and are subject to the academic and business requirements of the School. As a school, we also believe that understanding and respecting differences not only inspires compassion and empathy, but also fosters intellectual curiosity and creativity. We embrace the diverse cultures, experiences and perspectives that comprise and enhance our learning environment. We commit to sustaining and growing an intentionally inclusive community.
About Fort Worth Country Day and the City of Fort Worth:
Fort Worth Country Day earned the distinction of being ranked one of the Best Companies to Work for in Fort Worth for 2018.
Fort Worth Country Day is a coed, junior kindergarten through grade 12 college-preparatory day school with approximately 1080 students and 250 faculty and staff. Country Day seeks to promote inclusivity and retain a diverse faculty. The 104-acre campus offers excellent facilities for academics, arts and athletics. Faculty and administration nurture a collegial professional environment in which innovation is encouraged. Opportunities for ongoing professional development are exceptional. Fort Worth Country Day is proud of its school community where students, parents, faculty, staff and administration join together to develop an effective and enjoyable place to teach and learn.
Fort Worth ranks as one of the top 20 largest cities in the United States and is known for its vibrant arts, music, and cultural life. The Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan region is home to over 6.5 million people. More information about the School and Fort Worth community is available at www.fwcd.org.
The search to fill this position will begin immediately. Employment is expected to begin in August in preparation for the 2021 – 2022 school year. Interested candidates should include a cover letter, resume and names of professional references.