As a human rights organization, AIUSA is deeply committed to advancing Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA) in all aspects of our work. The Senior Director of IDEA is a newly created leadership role housed in the Inclusion & Strategic Innovation department, directly reporting to the Chief Inclusion & Strategic Innovation Officer (CISIO).
This role will be responsible along with the CISIO and the Executive Team for embedding a holistic and integrated approach to IDEA across the organization, working with all stakeholders but with an initial primary focus on staff and volunteers. The Senior Director will further build out and implement the existing IDEA strategy, leading on a wide range of initiatives, including ongoing assessment, monitoring, and improving of AIUSA’s IDEA efforts; strengthening IDEA in processes, practices and policies, and developing learning and engagement opportunities for AIUSA staff and volunteers. Although the person in this role will partner closely with the People & Culture team and the Movement Building team on improving internal and volunteer practices, they will also working closely staff in other teams to drive IDEA in their areas of work, including campaigns, programs, public affairs, research, government relations, development and operations.
This role requires a seasoned IDEA generalist with a track record of building comprehensive change strategies with expertise in racial equity and anti-racism, human resources, leadership development, and volunteer management. A strategic, empathetic, collaborative, and influential leader, the Senior Director is able to determine and deliver on AIUSA’s organizational needs as it moves to the next phase of implementing our IDEA strategy. This will require the Senior Director to identify powerful and meaningful initiatives to increase awareness, build skills, and strengthen collaboration and ownership of all staff and volunteers. They must be ready to build, lead, and partner, and able to navigate a complex organization with many different stakeholders who are at different stages of their IDEA journeys. The Senior Director is self-motivated, creative, pro-active, agile, resourceful, can put things in perspective, and have a good sense of humor. The Inclusion & Strategic Innovation department houses a number of functions related to people, learning, organizational development and strategy, and culture change, and the Senior Director of IDEA will be a key leader in further strengthening the team and its collective work as a member of the department’s leadership team.
- Further develop, implement, and evaluate the IDEA organization-wide strategy for staff and volunteers in partnership with the Chief Inclusion & Strategic Innovation Officer
- Advise and support the People & Culture team on developing inclusive, equitable and diversity-conscious talent management and employee experience practices
- Design, develop, deliver and evaluate training, resources, events, and other IDEA-related learning/discussion opportunities for managers, staff and volunteers
- Lead the IDEA committee and other IDEA-related staff and volunteer groups
- Provide day-to-day training, advice, and coaching to senior leadership, managers, staff and members on IDEA-related issues as needed or requested
- Advise colleagues in the Human Rights Impact, Movement Building, Development, Legal & Policy, and Finance & Operations departments to develop, implement, and monitor IDEA initiatives in their respective areas of work
- Partner with the Organizational Development, the Innovation Lab, and Impact & Learning units to embed IDEA into planning, testing, and evaluation of AIUSA’s work
- Manage relationships with external IDEA-related vendors and partners
- Collaborate with the International Secretariat and other Amnesty International sections on IDEA-related efforts as needed
- Being an active contributor to an inclusive, collaborative and high-performing team