We believe in transforming relationships. This includes relationships with our homeless neighbors but also includes relationships with our donors. We have a team that is participating in life transformation in some of the most desperate and forgotten corners of our city. God is doing something significant, right now at the Mission. Do you want to be a part of it?
We need a people leader who is passionate about volunteers having an impactful experience. The primary responsibility of this position is to develop, engage, and deepen relationships with our high impact volunteers, significantly engaged volunteers and prospects. This is accomplished through the leadership of a team including three additional staff. Emphasis is placed upon one-to-one personal contact with volunteers. This role will work to cultivate and support overall volunteer efforts, programs, and outreach within and outside the Mission. Providing outstanding support, they will be consistently and predictably customer-friendly, speedy, accurate, and dependable for all volunteers, residents, guests, and staff.
At Seattle's Union Gospel Mission, we value and care for every Mission volunteer and we want each one to be spiritually empowered to bring the love of Jesus and hope for a new life to our homeless neighbors. The Volunteer Experience Director will take an active role ensuring each volunteer is delighted by service opportunities that make a meaningful impact for them and for the Mission.
We regularly see around 6,000 volunteers participate in the Mission annually. Volunteers are key in our ability to serve our homeless neighbors, support our regular staffing, engage our churches and partner with our community. Our volunteer program is an important way of engaging our donors and our community at-large in our work.
About the Organization
For 88 years, Seattle's Union Gospel Mission take our calling to love our homeless neighbors very seriously. Our efforts help move people to healthy, thriving lives. We start by learning their names, their stories, and providing first for urgent physical needs, building relationships, and then offering long-term recovery programs. Currently, we have 11,199 homeless neighbors living in the greater Seattle vicinity. More than 1/3 of those who are homeless are struggling with mental illness. 32% of King County's homeless wrestle with addiction. You can be a part of the solution and join the team.
Essential Job Duties
- Meet annual goals with our volunteers using a portfolio management strategy with your team, in collaboration with the CDO.
- Through proactively reaching and caring for new and existing volunteers. This includes leading a team of relationship managers to focus on heavy 2-way engagement and interaction.
- Build out an approach with relationship deliverables including hours served, roles filled, quantity/quality of volunteers, and volunteer financial giving to promote Mission engagement.
- Conduct solicitations on behalf of the Mission through building relationships with volunteers who have a capacity and interest to give or to take increasing steps of volunteer responsibility.
- Active collaboration with program leadership to discover and understand known and felt needs. This includes launching new areas of volunteering and using volunteers to help with special projects.
- Foster and cultivate volunteers for high-impact roles within the Mission. Challenging all volunteers to engage at a deeper level. Relaunch the high-impact volunteer program, finalizing a definition, building out training, and developing a community of volunteers.
- In conjunction with program leadership, identify and fill the organizations staffing needs with volunteers.
- Create supportive volunteer communities in all parts of all Mission programing. This include cross trained volunteers that can meet evolving organization needs.
- Support the work of the Church Engagement Team, providing leads through churches participating in the volunteer program and facilitating meaningful avenues for congregants to engage in community ministry.
- Lead the daily operations of the Volunteer Experience team. This includes providing vision for staff and the larger organization.
- Develop, implement and maintain volunteer development, recruiting, selection, retention, recognition and training strategies, systems and processes.
- Lead over culture development creating a volunteer to volunteer community and experience at the Mission.
- Create, implement and maintain strategic and collaborative volunteer communication including website management.
- Register and record all volunteer hours for management and L&I reporting purposes.
- Utilize the volunteer and donor database for monthly reporting and volunteer information.
- Advocates and supports Missions people team guidelines, policies and processes.
- Early prospect outreach, identification of new prospects, growth in volunteer hours or roles, dollars raised, volunteer referrals secured, and handoffs conducted.
- Represent Mission when called upon. Assist on-site and off-site as needed, for volunteer fairs, tours or group/corporate/service projects.
- Pilot and refine on-ramps to move volunteers to become donors. This includes specialized campaigns, supporting peer-to-peer fundraising efforts, trainings/orientations, and outside-of-the box experiences.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division, and Department meetings and training, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.