Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Weekend Cook to join the Food Services team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Weekend Cook is responsible for oversight of the Hope Place kitchens/ pantry area. Work as part of a team to prepare nutritious meals and mentor the women, and children in a clean, Christ-like environment. This includes maintenance of equipment, and supervision of Team Members who are assigned to the kitchen. This position also works closely with volunteer groups
Our Food Services team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Friday from 10:30 AM - 7:00 PM, Saturday from 10:15 AM to 6:45 PM, and Sunday from 12:30 PM to 7:00 PM
Essential Job Duties
- Be willing to work weekends.
- Be willing to work holidays as needed.
- Prepare and serve meals during the week as scheduled.
- Make sure the kitchen and food storage areas are clean and organized.
- Supervise all clients and volunteers working in the kitchen.
- Monitor safety of all clients and volunteers in and around the kitchen.
- Demonstrate good use of donated food items.
- Ensure proper quantity and quality of food served on his/her shift.
- Work as part of the team with other staff members.
- Able to mentor the women and children in the shelter.
- Confront inappropriate behavior from clients or staff respectfully and consistently.
- Participate in staff meetings as determined by the Kitchen Ministry Coordinator.
- Attend all SUGM mandatory training classes.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor
Non-Essential Job Duties
- Complete donated food log for all food donations received at Hope Place kitchen
- Work at other program locations at the request of the Food Services Manager.
- Ensure that all kitchen volunteers log in and out when working in the kitchen.
- Complete meal count log for shift worked
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Excellent food handling and preparation skills required.
- Ability to obtain a food handler’s permit required.
- Ability to work in a team environment required.