This position is responsible for the Aquarium’s maintenance/life support team to support the operation, maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment associated with live animal habitats. Management and preventative maintenance of all life support system (LSS) equipment, including but not limited to pumps, sand filters, UV, ozone generators and other equipment that are critical to animal health.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain the preventative maintenance program of all LSS equipment through the manufacturers’ scheduled maintenance for all equipment.
- Identify and record all maintenance performed to LSS equipment according to approved protocols and procedures.
- Identify problems and communicate system design and operation changes to ensure safety for guests, staff and the animal collection.
- Work closely with the facilities staff to ensure the safe installation, maintenance and operation of all LSS equipment, while maintaining the needs of the animals in habitats and holding systems.
- Perform inspections, preventative maintenance, routine upkeep, cleaning and repair of all life support equipment.
- general facility repair and maintenance.
- Understand water chemistry reports and their relationships to LSS.
- Assist in the making of seawater for marine systems.
- Monitor the Life Sciences inventory and departmental expenditure as it pertains to maintenance in order to reduce loss/waste, control costs and accurately communicate expenses.
- Maintain up-to-date electronic records on water quality, system maintenance and system checks.
- Assist in emergency situations to minimize damage, loss or injury to guests, team members, animals or company property.
- In collaboration with Guest Experience Department and the Aquarium Foundation, ensure habitats and programs engage, educate and entertain diverse audiences.
- Work closely with the Aquarium Foundation to ensure volunteers and educators provide exemplary guest service and engagement.
- Other duties as assigned.