WISE & Healthy Aging currently has an exciting new opportunity for a full-time Social Worker Advocate. Our well-established Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, considered a “best practice” program by the California State Ombudsman Office, is searching for motivated, assertive and energetic individuals to service the territory of a regional office. The Ombudsman Advocate strives to protect the rights and dignity of disabled and senior residents in skilled nursing and residential care facilities throughout the City and County of Los Angeles. This important role ensures a high quality of care and life for individuals residing in these facilities by providing advocacy services on their behalf. Such services involve monitoring visits, identifying and investigating complaints by or on behalf of residents, dissemination of educational information and witnessing of advance health care directives.
Headquartered in beautiful Santa Monica, WISE & Healthy Aging is committed to serve older adults at all stages of their lives from pre-retirement through elder years, caregivers and their families, senior services organizations as well as others who share our passion and commitment to making a difference in the lives of older adults. WISE & Healthy Aging has received numerous designations of excellence from Guide Star, GREATNONPROFITS, NCQA Case Management for Long Term Services & Support, and is nationally certified as a Great Place to Work.
- Identify, investigate and resolve complaints, including alleged elder and dependent adult abuse to the satisfaction of residents of long-term care (LTC) facilities.
- Collaborate with and supervise interns and volunteers.
- Ensure that all complaints are being handled according to program guidelines.
- Provide continuing community presence through unannounced or scheduled visits to long-term care facilities.
- Provide case management and reporting in compliance with established procedures.
- Provide community education presentations, on-going Public Relations and development with community partners like law enforcement and local fire departments.
- Use of personal vehicle to visit LTC facilities approximately 60% of the time.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s in Social Work (MSW) required. Master’s in Gerontology (MSG) may also be considered.
- Minimum of three (3) years related experience (voluntary or paid) in healthcare, long-term care advocacy, gerontology, investigations, mediation and negotiation strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Demonstrated experience in performing direct service in social services or a related field. Prior responsibilities in handling case management, client advocacy, or therapy involving vulnerable populations, particularly older adults.
- Field work experience with ethnically diverse populations.
- Bi-lingual language skills a plus. (Ex: Spanish, Mandarin, Farsi, etc.)
- Candidates “must” not have worked at a long-term care facility or adult day service center for at least one year prior to application.
- Must travel throughout designated service territory.
- Valid driver’s license, auto insurance and satisfactory criminal background check required.
If you want to be a part of a great team, we offer a competitive salary and an exceptional benefits package. For employees who regularly work 30 or more hours per week benefits include 80% company-paid medical, 100% company-paid dental, life and vision (optional), 401(k) plan with competitive employer match, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 11 paid holidays, plus a generous paid time-off (PTO) plan.