- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) (Class B with air brakes endorsement) acquired within 6 months of hire so as to pass probation. Condition of continued employment
- Good driving record and maintain valid Driver's License / CDL at all times. This position is part of pre-employment drug testing and a random drug and alcohol testing program.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent, some college preferred
- Knowledge of operation of equipment and hand tools, common power tools and chain saws
- Industrial/Warehouse experience or Building maintenance experience
- Oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team
- Customer service focus
- Ability to recognize safety hazards
- Ability to walk, stand, work at heights and dig for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift 50lbs,over 80lbs with assistance
- Certification in advanced Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), First Aid and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) within 3 months of employment and keep certification current. The District provides this training.
- Familiarity with computers
- Ability to read, write and/or speak Spanish
- Operation of high ranger
- Experience operating large trucks and equipment
- Understanding of irrigation systems
- Experience with painting, plumbing, woodworking and welding, concrete and electrical
Work Environment, Physical Demands and Considerations
- Frequently – Sitting, walking, standing, reaching.
- Occasionally – Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling and crawling.
- Strength – Work requires digging and handling up to 50lbs, over 50 with assistance of materials or equipment.
- Other requirements may include operating office equipment including, but not limited to computers, printers, copiers, fax and telephone devices.
- Will be exposed to chemicals such as acids, glues, chlorine and other substances in cleaning solutions.
- Will be exposed to occasional inclement weather including extreme heat,humidity, cold, rain, snow, ice and wind.
- Protective clothing is required as it pertains to the particular job duty.
- Examples may include: safety goggles, glasses, face shields, steel tip work boots, protective rubber or leather gloves, hard hat, paint spray respirator,protective suits and outer wear and back brace
- Some exposure to noise, dust, fumes, elevation and confined spaces.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and/or written instructions efficiently
- Ability to direct and train seasonal staff
- Ability to operate assigned equipment.
- Ability to keep pace with the work load and effectively interact with others.
- Ability to perform basic computation including measuring, calculating and estimating.
- Ability to follow through on a task without immediate supervision.
- Ability to interpret and explain division and District policies and procedures.
- Ability to follow good safety practices and exercise judgment in all aspects of the jobs
Internal: Park District employees
External: Patrons of Park District of Oak Park; residents of Oak Park
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, functions or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, functions, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer!