The Accounting Specialist is responsible for all cemetery and mortuary related transactional accounting duties, including but not limited to: processing, recording, and documenting general ledger financial transactions, completing commission statements, preparing financial reports, reconciling bank accounts, coordinating audit activities, reviewing/auditing cash receipts, tracking and reporting A/R, recording inventory, overseeing A/P activities, and developing internal financial controls.
The Accounting Specialist supports the Archdiocese of Denver and reports to the Executive Director of Cemeteries, and s/he will interact with a broad range of people, such as cemetery staff, customers, diocesan accounting staff, auditors, and board members.
This position is located at Mount Olivet Catholic Cemetery in Wheat Ridge.
The Catholic Funeral and Cemetery Services (CFCS) accounting model includes significant support from the diocesan accounting department or an external accounting firm, much of it provided remotely. The Accounting Specialist is the leader of the local accounting effort and is a member of the local leadership team. As part of a tight-knit team, managing a mid-sized enterprise, it will be important to have a can-do attitude in support of our overall business plan and ministry.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in accounting required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Accounting
- Public accounting experience preferred.
Include, but are not limited to:
- Must be energized by working in a Catholic faith-based organization
- Must be able to understand and thereafter integrate the associated job requirements with the organizations core purpose: Filling the Void of Loss with Faith
- Experience managing a full-cycle general ledger monthly close process and related activities
- Must have financial software system experience. Intacct experience is preferred but not required
- Advanced Excel Skills desired
- Experience with preparing financial statements, including leading the monthly close process and financial reporting
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous process improvement
- Able to supervise the work of others
- Able to conduct oneself with a Family First approach
- Possess a good-natured, cooperative attitude
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Possess strong time management skills
- Ability to travel throughout the Archdiocese of Denver
- Proficient in the use of computers, software, and technology
- Valid state issued drivers license, good driving record, and proof of insurance is required
- Project management skills
- Ability to be an active leader as well as a team player