The National Director of Programs leads AIUSA's programmatic team to advance human rights and fight human rights abuses in the U.S. and globally. AIUSA currently implements programming to address the U.S. criminal justice system; to defend the rights of women, LGBTI people, and Indigenous Peoples; to promote sexual and reproductive rights; to promote human rights in U.S. national security policy; and to protect human rights defenders. The National Director will also be a key partner in advancing our racial equity and racial justice work within and in addition to our existing programmatic areas. Reporting to the Chief Impact Officer, the National Director manages a team of program staff and works closely with our campaigns and public affairs teams and with Amnesty members and activists to achieve human rights impact.
- Manages and develops AIUSA’s existing and new programmatic issue advocacy work to engage activists and members to achieve human rights impact, with a special emphasis on racial equity and racial justice
- Leads as a strategic thought partner and collaborator on human rights impact strategies; oversees team implementation of the organizational strategic plan
- Manages the program team; serves as a mentor and coach, working collaboratively with department staff in planning and implementing work plans that will advance human rights
- Applies creativity and innovation to program strategies; supports testing and evaluation to improve organizational impact
- Manages the unit’s budget; supports fundraising efforts to secure additional resources for organizing efforts.
- Collaborates closely with Grassroots and Leadership Engagement, Organizing, Government Relations and Campaigns teams, and with other teams in the department and organization.
- Represents Amnesty International USA to external partners and fosters collaboration and alliances.
- Liaises with other Amnesty International country sections and the International Secretariat on programmatic work where appropriate
- Designs and develops processes that promote shared leadership of Amnesty’s human rights work; supports member-initiated work and collaboration to advance organizational goals; trains department staff in project management and shared leadership
- Practices and promotes Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility (IDEA) values within the Programs team and across the organization
- Contributes to organization-wide collaboration, culture change, and strategic and operational planning as a member of the management team
- Other duties as assigned