About the Senator John Heinz History Center
From the pre-revolutionary drama of the French & Indian War to the legendary match-ups of the Super Steelers, discover 250 years of Pittsburgh history at the Senator John Heinz History Center. An affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, the History Center is the largest history museum in Pennsylvania with six floors of long-term and changing exhibition space. The History Center’s museum system includes the Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum, a dynamic museum-within-a-museum; the Fort Pitt Museum in Point State Park; and Meadowcroft Rockshelter & Historic Village, a National Historic Landmark located in Avella, Pa. in Washington County. The History Center presents the most compelling stories from American history with a Western Pennsylvania connection, all in an interactive environment perfect for visitors of every age.
The Heinz History Center, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and the largest history museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, is currently seeking a full-time Grants Officer to successfully match government and foundation fundraising needs of the Heinz History Center and our branch museums (Meadowcroft Rockshelter & Historic Village, Western PA Sports Museum, Detre Library & Archives and Fort Pitt Museum) by researching foundation and government funding opportunities; writing and coordinating specific proposals that match the History Center’s organizational needs with funder priorities; following up to secure funding; and reporting to funders on the progress of the History Center’s initiatives they have supported.
This is a full-time position within the Advancement Team while reporting to the Vice President.
The primary responsibilities of the Grants Officer include:
• Research, analyze and solicit foundation and government agency funding opportunities.
• Review the History Center’s strategic plan and project priorities and align fundraising goals to plan.
• Work with the Vice President, Advancement Director, Corporate Relations Director, and all departments to enumerate and verify the prioritized needs of the organization with respect to the strategic plan and projects seeking funding.
• Participate in brainstorming sessions to decide on priorities.
• Identify potential funders.
• Assist in research and lead the efforts to write drafts of proposals and reports to foundations and government entities.
• Explore published information, electronic databases, and other research tools to determine potential funders’ priorities for funding and investment.
• Follow-up with funders to refine the nature of the ultimate request.
• Track and write proposals and reports for new and renewing foundations.
• Maintain and update department files and databases on foundations and government agency funders.
• Develop an accurate updated database of foundations and government entities.