Princeton University Press (PUP) seeks a Copublication Specialist with a demonstrated ability to serve as a key liaison to internal and external collaborators, manage a diversity of tasks, and has a genuine interest in books, academia and publishing. Reporting to the Manager of Art & Illustrated Book Production, this role oversees the production and manufacturing stages of PUP’s extensive copublication partnerships. Assuming responsibility for these partnerships following handover from Acquisitions Editorial, the coordinator liaises with the copublishing team and internal stakeholders to ensure transparency and accuracy of copublication schedules and the integrity of the deliverables.
Many of the copublication titles are lavishly illustrated and are designed for the highest production values and manufacturing standards. The Copublication Specialist will have the opportunity to collaborate on a diversity of beautiful books. This role includes working with a variety of copublication and distribution partners, including museums and partner publishing companies, each with their own internal requirements and constraints. Establishing clear and regular communication both with these partners and internally is key to the role. Balancing the needs of our publishing partners and the Press requires a meticulous and adaptive approach to monitoring schedules, coordinating the timely flow of information and content, and turning around materials with speed and accuracy.
PUP is a strong advocate for greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in the university press community. Individuals who are members of groups underrepresented in academic publishing are encouraged to apply. The Press provides a comprehensive and affordable benefits package and is located in a historic building on Princeton University’s campus that is walking distance from downtown Princeton with easy car access to Route 1 and walking distance from the Princeton train station.
- Manages production schedules in database.
- Works with copublishers and distribution partners as needed to be sure specifications, schedule, and shipping terms are optimal and aligned with contract terms.
- Collaborates with acquiring editors, editorial assistants, and designers (as needed) to provide deliverables to copub partners within contracted schedule dates.
- Provides cover/jacket layout guide, barcode, and logos to copublisher or freelance designer.
- Proofreads promotional/catalog copy.
- Manages manufacturing vendors for copub titles printed by PUP; reviews and traffic proofs and sends all print-ready files to the printer, flightchecks and resolve file issues as required.
- Coordinates on ebook and Look-Inside-the-Book file requirements; secures digital files from copublisher when erights are included.
- Sends shipping memos to printer with delivery breakdown for US and UK warehouses.
- Quotes and schedules all shipments from overseas vendors to US and UK warehouse via freight forwarder.
- Monitors in-warehouse dates and informs stakeholders of changes or delays.
- For copublications printed by PUP, requests cost estimates from print vendors.
- Creates and revises cost estimates using pricing printers and freight forwarders.
- Issues purchase orders (using Biblio) based on contract terms or otherwise orders work from vendors (prepress houses, printers, freight forwarders).
- Tracks, processes, and approves all vendor invoices.