Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Kitchen Ministry Coordinator to join the Food Services team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Kitchen Ministry Coordinator is responsible for the oversight of the location kitchen ministry, which includes meals preparation and presentation, guest supervision, processing donations, supervision of volunteers, pantry and kitchen maintenance, and work as part of a team to prepare nutritious meals and supervising program clients who are assigned to the kitchen all while ensuring a clean, safe, healing environment. This role also provides support to other Food Services kitchens, as directed or assigned, at the coordinator or cook level
Our Food Services team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Monday - Friday, 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Essential Job Duties:
- Ensure up-to-date and effective written policies and procedures to guide kitchen operations
- Train and supervise program participants and volunteers / interns assigned to the kitchen
- Order, maintain, inventory, and inspect all kitchen food items, stock and supplies
- Craft and help prepare well-rounded nutritious meals, on a daily basis
- Work effectively with guests/program participants/volunteers/interns to create an environment that supports life transformation through effective work therapy
- Partners with Program Ministries leadership on overall site, guest and program participant growth goals, program direction and the partnering of program support of spiritual and holistic growth and health
- Maintain a clean and safe kitchen and storage area
- Maintain accurate, daily meal counts and complete the log kept for this purpose
- Participate in shelter community and staff meetings as determined by the Food Services Director
- Availability to work weekends, holidays, and AM or PM shifts as needed
- Attend all mandatory training classes
- Complete donated food log for all food donations received at kitchen location.
- Ability to quickly transition / travel to other Mission food services sites, as needed and assigned, providing similar level of responsibilities or filling in as a cook / chef
- Familiar with processes, needs, styles of the other Food Services kitchen sites.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor
Note: Work at other program locations may be requested on occasion by the Food Services Manager
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Ability to train, lead & mentor program clients required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook required
- Ability to forecast and meet stocking needs, and knowledge of food delivery and storage systems required
- Knowledge of food handling requirements and all applicable laws and regulations required
- A love of cooking and the ability to prepare nutritious meals using a variety/mixture of donated and purchased product
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills required
- Ability to work in a team environment required
- Washington State Food Worker Card must be obtained and valid
- Mediation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to use personal vehicle to travel to and from work sites is required.