The Donor Information Specialist facilitates the timely and accurate compilation of organ and tissue charts and the communication of required information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborates with operational staff to ensure that donor record is complete and accurate. Requests corrections and other follow-up as appropriate.
- Works with other organizations (Hospitals, eye-banks, physician offices, Medical Examiner/Coroners) in requesting relevant donor information including autopsy, toxicology, serology testing results, medical examiner and coroner’s investigative reports, medical records and microbiological cultures.
- Ensures timely and accurate communication to relevant stakeholders, any relevant test results and other information related to patient safety and the quality and safety of organs and tissues recovered by LifeCenter.
- Constructs donor record in accordance with LifeCenter policy and applicable regulation and standard.
- Respond to transplant center and tissue processor requests for additional information in a timely manner.
- Notifies and collaborates with LifeCenter Quality and Regulatory Affairs department in identifying non-conformances.
- Performs data entry of donor and recovery information to the LifeCenter Electronic Donor Management System and other databases.
- Participates in regular performance review, tracking workflow and generates performance metric reports to ensure chart release/chart completion goals are met.
- Develops training materials and delivers chart completion training to operational staff.
- Assembles donor recovery paperwork packets for operational staff.
- Ensures that donor information is handled in a secure manner.
Chart Information Evaluation:
- Performs preliminary review of critical donor information including but not limited to serology testing, plasma dilution assessment, declaration of death, authorization for donation, and medical and social history.
- Ensures that organ and tissue recovery documentation is complete, accurate and consistent with LifeCenter documentation practices.
- Sorts and reviews medical records and completes final plasma dilution tissue charts. Resolves discrepancies in chart information.
- Reviews autopsy/toxicology reports for contraindications to donation and correlation to donor recovery and medical records.
- Regularly participate in weekend and holiday coverage for organ culture/pathology/virology review on a rotating basis. Executes quality review of Organ and Tissue donor charts. Coordinates with Organ Donation Services (ODS) and Tissue Donation Services (TDS) Directors, and staff to ensure accurate, timely review and closure of donor charts.
- Develops tracking systems to identify and trend errors to provide timely feedback on charting errors and opportunities for process improvement.
- Ensures data reporting compliance for regulatory agencies and works with operations staff to reconcile errors and omissions.
- Assists in maintenance of controlled document systems. Aides in development and revision of Standard Operating Procedures in collaboration with departmental staff.
- Assists in preparation for and participates in regulatory audits.
- Works closely with the Organ Recovery Services Manager, Quality Program Manager, and Tissue Resource Managers to ensure compliance with all LifeCenter SOPs, and regulatory agency requirements.
- Works closely with Quality and Regulatory affairs team to streamline workflow, increase productivity, and creatively problem-solve.
Other Responsibilities: The DIS will perform other duties and tasks as directed by the Director of Quality & Regulatory Affairs. They will also ensure that they:
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, and LifeCenter policies and procedures.
- Participate in compliance, quality assurance, and performance improvement programs and initiatives.
- Complete and submit accurate timesheets in a timely manner to reflect time off, pay units earned, as applicable during the period.
- Complete and submit a timely reconciliation of business expenses charged on his/her corporate VISA card, if applicable, and follow up on any issues in a timely manner.
Values: The employee in this position must uphold the core values of LifeCenter; these include:
- Respect: We treat others with compassion, support, and appreciation.
- Integrity: Honesty, transparency, and reliability are paramount in all we do.
- Collaboration: We strive to work in partnership with others, internally and externally, and to find common ground and shared goals to build upon together.
- Service: We honor our obligation to be good stewards of the gift of life and our commitment to serve others as we carry out our mission.
- Courageous Leadership: We stand up for what is right and our decisions and actions always support our mission.