Provides general, administrative, secretarial and clerical support to the Paralyzed Veterans of America national service office. Performs a variety of functions requiring clerical skills and independent judgment.
- Maintains records for all outgoing monthly reports and correspondence.
- Maintain confidentiality of all records.
- Receives and reviews various materials for filing. Retrieves materials and maintains files by category as needed.
- Receives, date-stamps, and logs all incoming mail.
- Answers incoming telephone calls in the service office.
- Responds to routine non-technical inquiries from PVA members, clients, and other persons. Provides inquiry responses to other service offices regarding claims as directed.
- Establishes controls and diaries on distribution and flow of all incoming Department of Veterans Affairs files, claims and letters to ensure timeliness for processing and accurate status reports for each pending claim or action.
- Initiates diary follow-ups on other pending matters and alerts the office supervisor to delays.
- Types correspondence and formal submissions to the Department of Veterans Affairs from written notes, by verbal directive or dictation.
- Must develop proficiency in the use of personal computers and software utilized by PVA.
- Maintains working files and updates Department of Veterans Affairs manuals, publications, and internal office records on a continuous basis.
- Compiles monthly and/or periodic reports, requests, etc., at the direction of the supervisor.
- Operates standard office machines and equipment, and Department of Veterans Affairs computer systems, where authorized.
- Types letters, memoranda, articles, forms and reports at the direction of the supervisor.
- Acts as office receptionist.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills, Abilities, Experience:
- Must have attained a high school diploma or GED equivalency certificate and at least two (2) years secretarial experience, or must have equivalent education and experience.
- Must be proficient in the use of word processing, database software, and allied computer equipment.
- Must type a minimum of 45 words per minute without undue error, and command proficient oral/written communication skills.
- Must possess strong interpersonal communications skills.
- Must maintain confidentiality of all client and personnel information.