The Donation and Family Advocate provides on-site response to advocating for donation and supporting families through the organ and tissue donation process.
On-Site Donation Advocacy and Donor Family Support
- Delivers high-quality bereavement support to potential donor families throughout LifeCenter Northwest’s (LCNW) entire service area.
- Responsible for educating potential donor’s Next-of-Kin (NOK) about donation options, status of donor designation, or requesting authorization for donation from legal NOK.
- Obtains authorization or disclosure with first-person authorization and conducts a donor risk assessment questionnaire (DRAI) with appropriate surrogate of the potential organ donor
- Rapid on-site support for donor families at hospitals throughout LCNW’s service area as needed via personal automobile, or commercial or chartered aircraft.
- Works in strong collaboration with hospital staff, LCNW Administrator-on-Call (AOC) and clinical staff to evaluate and determine the best time to discuss the opportunity for donation with potential donor families.
- Works closely with donor family and LCNW clinical staff to complete accurate answers to Donor Health Questionnaire.
- Ensures effective communication and strong collaboration with donor families, hospital personnel, physicians, related donation agencies, and other LCNW staff.
Documentation and Ongoing Family Support
- Refers donor families to LCNW’s Aftercare Program, community agencies and provide counseling referrals as requested and appropriate.
- Completes, accurate, and timely documentation of donor-related activities in computerized confidential donor record, and forms according to established policies and procedures.
- Ensures strong collaboration with the organ, tissue, and hospital development departments to ensure the maximization of organ and tissue donation opportunities.
- Works closely with hospital development to ensure a cohesive approach to hospital interactions.
- Assists the Family Support Manager in the planning and execution of various events and family support trainings.
Department Support and Education
- Maintains an awareness of all active referrals and pending activity.
- Participates in onboarding as a preceptor for Donation and Family Advocates and Organ Recovery Coordinators after one year.
- Collaborates with the Family Support Manager, Clinical Training Program Manager and Authorization Training Program Manager serves as a content expert in training programs, including but not limited to assisting with training of Donation and Family Advocates and Organ Recovery Coordinators after one year.
- Serves as family support resource for Organ Donation Services, Hospital Development Department, Donor Hospitals and Donation Partners including providing education and training.
- Maintains current knowledge of the donation and transplantation industry.
Values: The employee in this position must uphold the core values of LifeCenter; these include:
- Respect: We treat others with compassion, support, and appreciation.
- Integrity: Honesty, transparency, and reliability are paramount in all we do.
- Collaboration: We strive to work in partnership with others, internally and externally, and to find common ground and shared goals to build upon together.
- Service: We honor our obligation to be good stewards of the gift of life and our commitment to serve others as we carry out our mission.
- Courageous Leadership: We stand up for what is right and our decisions and actions always support our mission.