REPORTS TO: Clinic Manager
SUMMARY: Assists clinic staff by facilitating cross-cultural communication for non-English speaking patients of all ages. Provides language interpretation as patients interface with non-English speakers. Provide written translation services. Follow-up with patients may include phone calls and documentation of such contacts.
- Seek to understand and meet the needs of customers (patients, families, vendors, co-workers, etc.) through respectful, courteous and culturally sensitive interactions.
- Actively participate and works positively, flexibly and cooperatively in a team effort within and across departments to accomplish the goals of the organization. Willingly assist in areas other than that of primary responsibility for the good of the organization.
- Demonstrate effective, culturally sensitive communication skills and effectively communicate verbally and in writing with a variety of people.
- Know, understand and adhere to organizational policy related to the patient's rights for confidential care.
- Fluently interprets from the source language to the target language and back again.
- Mediates between two parties. Provides verbatim interpretation to preserve the medical record. Conveys meaning of the message in the target language.
- Conveys the intent, tone, style and language level of the speaker.
- Consistently seeks clarification from those involved in interaction to ensure clear and accurate interpretation; takes notes as necessary.
- Serves as cultural educator/consultant regarding Spanish/health care beliefs and cross-cultural issues pre or post appointment as requested.
- Documents on encounter form that language interpretation was provided. Ensures timely and accurate completion of billing forms.
- Provides translation (written communication) of written materials from Spanish into English and English into Spanish as needed.
- Consistently understands boundary issues while serving in the role of interpreter; maintains neutrality during patient/provider interactions.
- Provides translation and administrative assistance to triage nurse.
- Calls patients to confirm appointments for specialty clinics and any other appointments as requested by providers or supervisor.
- Assists providers/clinic staff by making/recording phone information to Spanish patients.
- Assists clinic staff to fill out patient health care forms.
- Translates patient educational materials into Spanish/English.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Does not supervise other staff. May provide work direction to students/volunteers.
INFECTION CONTROL AND SAFETY PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITY:
Understands and complies with universal precautions and right to know.
Understands and complies with hazardous waste precautions/handling as appropriate.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS :
May require prolonged periods of sitting/standing/listening/speaking. May involve evening and/or weekend hours.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish and English.
- Clear understanding of culture and customs of the groups and communities using the specified language.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures and health insurance plans, state plans and programs.
- Ability to establish/maintain effective working relationship with providers, clinic staff and others.
- Ability to concentrate/listen for long periods of time.
- Knowledge of medical terminology practice and procedure.
Education, licensure, registration:
Completion of high school or equivalent required.
Completion of medical terminology course/training in the state of Minnesota.