The Journals Online Content Manager oversees the electronic editions of the journals of American Psychiatric Association Publishing, including ancillary multimedia vehicles (podcasts, videos); performing quality control of their website pages on APA Publishing’s knowledge portal PsychiatryOnline; writing/editing of alerts and promotional copy for published content for delivery to publicity vehicles; and working with medical editors on specific journal projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performing quality control of the journal sites on PsychiatryOnline, following up on known issues with the platform vendor and reporting any newly arising problems with functionality; respond to and work to resolve website-related inquiries received via APA Help Desk and via APA colleagues
- Preparing podcast episodes, including writing a monthly script and coordinating author interview in addition to recording and editing of episodes. Prepare xml feeds, upload audio files, and update feeds to ensure podcast distribution networks receive each new episode.
- Record and edit editor highlight videos, provide guidance for author-supplied videos, and edit author videos. Use YouTube to upload videos to include appropriate titles, descriptions, keywords, and writing of subtitles (closed captioning), and place videos on PsychiatryOnline.
- Communicating all online postings to publicity vehicles through alerts either personally written or collected from others that briefly synthesize the material to encourage click-throughs to the full content; creating xml files for e-mailed publication alerts
- Alerting authors of their online publication and following up to communicate items related to performance of their articles, such as when their articles have high Altmetric scores, are featured in videos or podcasts, or are selected for a CME course.
- Ensure new content is appropriately tagged for indexing within online platform and for MEDLINE.
- Collect content to supply Twitter accounts for the journals.
- Communicate as necessary with external partners (e.g., typesetter/compositor/electronic file preparer, website platform vendor, the National Library of Medicine, CrossRef, Altmetric, TrendMD).
- Copyedit manuscripts corresponding to 15 printed pages per month, to improve readability, conciseness, organization, clarity, and adherence to Journal style; write short sections of text as needed, e.g., to revise an abstract or to convert a table or figure to prose; send copyedited manuscripts to authors for approval, with questions and requests for clarification as well as indications of inconsistencies within the text and between text and tables and figures. Incorporate author's changes, suggestions, and clarifications into the manuscript. Negotiate with author when problems remain to be resolved.
- Serve as exclusive staff editor for specific sections of the journal: CME courses, Letters to the Editor, Commentaries.
- Perform other duties as assigned