Incumbent is responsible for all aspects of the administration and management of APA’s Education Division. The Chief of Education is an executive position, and the chief must be a psychiatrist with significant experience in psychiatric education: for example, as a residency training director, chair of a department of psychiatry, CME director, medical student educator or associate dean at a medical school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the programs and components in the following Departments/Offices:
- Continuing Medical Education
- Scientific Programs for the Annual Meeting and Institute for Psychiatric Services
- Graduate and Undergraduate Education
- Online learning
- Focus: lifelong learning in Psychiatry journal and development of related educational programs
- Federally funded grants
- Represents the APA and serves as liaison to external organizations, both within psychiatry and other medical associations including American Association of Director of Psychiatry Residency Training (ADPRT), Association for Academic Psychiatry (AAP), Association of Director of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry (ADMSEP), American Association of Chairs of Departments of Psychiatry (AACDP), American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC), American board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), Residency Review Committee for Psychiatry of the ACGME (RRC), Council of Medical Specialty Societies (CMSS), American College of Psychiatry (ACP), subspecialty organizations/associations, and Group for Advancement of Psychiatry (GAP)
- Directs and oversees the fiscal administration of all departments in the Division of Education
- Develops, monitors, and supervises the allocation of Division of Education Budgets
- Ensure compliance with federal grant deliverables and budget requirements
- Identifies and analyzes potential revenue sources and fiscal problem areas
- Represents the Division at all budget related meetings, including the Finance and Budget Committee, and Board of Trustees as necessary
- Directs and supervise component liaisons with the APA Councils on Education and Lifelong Learningand its respective Committees (scientific program committees, innovation committee, wellbeing and burnout committee, award committees).
- Personnel Management
- Provides supervision and oversight to staff in director/supervisory positions
- Oversees hiring and evaluation process for the staff
- The director oversees all educational programs that the APA provides for members. The major educational activities are the Annual Meeting, the Institute for Psychiatric Services, Focus: journal of lifelong learning in Psychiatry (and other Focus-branded programs), Online CME programs.
- Keep members updated on recent developments in MOC and Lifelong Learning activities.
- Maintain accreditation from the ACCME as an accredited provided of Continuing Medical Education (CME), Social Work accreditation of CE, and psychologic accreditation of CE
- Develop innovative new educational activities and programs to improve the continuing education of practicing psychiatrists/ APA members
- Maintain significant presence for APA in the areas of residency training in Psychiatry and Medical student education in Psychiatry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EOE, including disability/vets