WNPA is a nonprofit education partner of the National Park Service. WNPA supports parks across the West, developing products, services, and programs that enhance the visitor experience, understanding, and appreciation of national parks. Learn more at www.wnpa.org.
As a member of the Marketing & Communications team, the Content Writer helps support the organization by developing and editing content that communicates compelling and consistent messaging across print and digital media. This role helps support WNPA’s home office and 70+ retail stores. The scope of work varies and includes, but is not limited to retail promotional campaigns, in-store signage, event flyers, newsletters, press releases, brochures, social media, email, and web content.
The Content Writer must be passionate about writing, a critical thinker, and a self-starter. Additionally, the Content Writer must have superior attention to detail, be organized, have the ability to project manage/client manage, and have a keen interest in writing to appeal to and influence multiple audiences.
This role is responsible for completing the following tasks and any related tasks as assigned:
- Generate, manage, write, and/or edit content for all digital and printed materials (i.e. print ads, flyers, emails, web content, social media posts, brochures, handouts, etc) supporting the various departments within the organization (i.e. retail, programming, philanthropy, human resources, accounting, etc). Target audiences include, but are not limited to people who are advocates/supporters of national parks, national park service partners, board members, members of WNPA’s membership program, WNPA donors, and internal staff.
- Write and edit all advertising, promotional and marketing communications content to effectively describe and promote all WNPA promotions, services and programs.
- Write, edit, and publish organizational newsletters, web pages, blog posts, press releases, informational brochures, and educational brochure.
- Coordinate with ecommerce manager to write product copy for ecommerce website.
- Collaborate with regional program manager and park store managers help write and edit content for event collateral (i.e. flyers, emails).
- Collaborate with ecommerce manager, digital media specialist, and others to develop and recommend short-term and long-term promotional activities to drive traffic to our online store and increase sales.
- Write, manage, and execute event/programming-focused emails for both partner parks and The National Parks Store.
- Maintain awareness of park activities and events, helping to produce fresh ideas to promote and support our partner parks.
- Help maintain accurate and up-to-date records and provide traffic support for WNPA marketing and communication activities.
- Assist in measurement of marketing and communication campaign results.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to help develop a content strategy and actionable plan that aligns with marketing plan and company business strategy.
- Responsible for managing/executing content for social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) in collaboration with digital media specialist.
- Partner with digital media specialist to develop social media strategy and content in conjunction with overall digital strategy of the organization.
- Maintain and ensure WNPA staff and marketing team materials meet brand and editorial guidelines from a content standpoint.
- Collaborate with marketing team to develop efficient and effective standard operating procedures and workflows.
- Support WNPA’s business development, grant writing, and other marketing and promotional projects throughout the organization.
- Provide additional support to the Marketing & Communications manager/chief operating officer as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
This role must possess advanced to expert knowledge of, skill in, and/or ability in the following:
- Excellent writing skills with a strong capacity for both creative and professional writing.
- Experience copyediting and/or fact-checking.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Experience following/enhancing both in-house style guides and the Chicago Manual of style.
- Excellent visual communication skills, with the ability to present/convey information in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- Ability to project manage and effectively work/communicate with external clients.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines at one time.
- Self-starter, critical thinker, and creative problem solver.
- Ability to work in groups and independently while overseeing multiple projects to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat.
- Proficiency with Apple computers in an OSX environment.
- Interest in/experience managing social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Working knowledge of social media analytics tools.
- Ability to analyze marketing data and interpret insights and provide actionable recommendations.
- Working knowledge of electronic editing, specifically PDF markup.
- Skilled in developing and maintaining positive professional relationships.
- Knowledge of project development, management, and oversight standard.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Must possess intermediate-level computer skills with Microsoft Office suite products to include but not limited to, internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and databases.
- Must be comfortable with learning and using new hardware and software programs as introduced into the work environment.
This role must be able to meet the following physical demands with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by office environmental systems.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 8 hours per day. Walking and standing are occasionally required. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability, and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with customers, volunteers, supervisors/managers, directors, and coworkers.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Ability to work primarily with fingers to pick, pinch, type, and carry out substantial movements (motions) of the wrists and hand.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, calculators, multi-line touch-tone phones, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dollies, and other office equipment as needed.
Occasional travel may be required to work at local, off-site events.