Reports to: Contract Manager, or Lead Driver or Site Supervisor
School bus drivers provide a safe, reliable, clean and courteous school bus transportation to the public. School bus drivers must conduct pre-post trip bus safety inspections, adjust safety devices, operate radios, and operate a 27,000 gross vehicle weight rated school bus.
• Good verbal communication skills
• At least 21 years old
• Valid driver’s license for at least 3 years
• Subject to a background check; drug screen & physical evaluation
- Must be able to jump out of a bus (3-foot drop) and climb from emergency door.
- Have the ability to walk forward and backward in the bus without assistance.
- You will be tested on emergency evacuation procedures.
- Must be able to tolerate hot and cold weather.
- Ability to work in an environment with limited to moderate level of supervision and an atmosphere of informal autonomy: This requires an adaptability to variable pressures and paces in any given workday.
- Able to perform multiple task simultaneously while concentrating on safety of children, as well as their physical, mental, or emotional needs.
- Be able to tolerate diesel fuel fumes, odors, and moderate dust conditions
Activity: Pre-and Post-trip inspection of the bus, loading and unloading of students.
Longest Single Duration: 10 Minutes.
Terrain: Gravel/blacktop/Concrete and/or bus aisle 22 steps to the back of the bus. Bus aisle is 12 wide.
Total Time: 3-7 hours.
Activity: While driving bus.
Longest Single Duration: 2 hours.
Type of Seat: 17 x 17 bus seat that offers vibrations. Seat set back 40 from the accelerator and break. Seat
Activity: Must distinguish colors of electric traffic signals to determine red, yellow, and green.
Visual sight must be maintained with currently State and Federal requirements.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Workday hours are 4 - 8 hours per day.