Under the direct supervision of the Sports and Fitness Director and as a member of the Health, Sports, Fitness and Aquatics Team, the Fitness Consultant at the Addison-Penzak Jewish Community Center (APJCC) is responsible for successfully implementing member engagement initiatives that align with the core values of the organization. This position serves as a vital role in engaging and retaining members and facilitating a safe and welcoming environment that inspires members to achieve their fitness goals.
All employees of the APJCC are responsible for creating relationships with the members to add value to their membership and enhance their sense of belonging with the APJCC community.
Key Core Competencies
- Strong commitment to creating a warm and welcoming environment to all members and guests
- Ability to foster strong relationships amongst both members and staff in a professional manner
- Act as a catalyst for members to be engaged at the APJCC in areas outside of fitness
- Experience working with a diverse range of people at various levels of fitness
Understanding of the fundamental skills of physiology and physical training with ability to implement an exercise program for beginner to advanced participants
- Knowledge of current industry standards and trends in fitness programming
- Strong personal skills in organization and project management
- Administrative skills that include email and high written and oral communication abilities
- Support the Sports and Fitness Director in overall program management
- Ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with other team members
- Be a champion for member engagement through relationship building with both staff and members
- Ability to understand members’ fitness needs based on interview process and implement strategies for goal setting
- Knowledge of fitness certification standards and best practices
- Assist the Sports and Fitness Director in the daily operations of the fitness facility
- Functional understanding of resistance training equipment and proper use and form
- Base knowledge to create goal setting plan for members to be successful
- Maintain a minimum of 6 hours of direct fitness floor engagement per week
- Ability to respond appropriately in an emergency situation
- Ability to recognize and demonstrate safe use of fitness equipment
- Enforce compliance with all safety regulations among staff and patrons, working to eliminate potential hazards.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Assist in lifeguard and swim instructor monthly in-service trainings as well as monthly safety drills.
- Fitness Center/Community Center environment
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures
- Ability to lift a minimum of 45 pounds
- Ability to stand, walk, properly demonstrate use of exercise equipment
This position is contingent upon completion and clearance of a background fingerprint assessment.