To be considered for this role: Due to operational requirements and business needs, the successful candidate will need to work from a location within the time zones of UTC-3 and UTC-8.
The Emergency Medical Coordinator supports the Humanitarian Response Team (HRT) in three functional areas of 1) assessing potential health needs in emergency responses, 2) preparing for potential emergencies, and 3) responding to emergencies and providing technical health expertise to the response. This includes overseeing technical quality, coordination with other health actors, community engagement and accountability for Medical Teams Internationals humanitarian responses.
When in a deployed role, the position manages all health personnel in the programs field site(s). Medical Teams utilizes international clinical volunteers in some responses; this role would be responsible for ensuring the appropriate engagement of these volunteers and oversight of national health staff. The Emergency Medical Coordinator may represent Medical Teams with relevant governments, donors, health response actors and the international community. This position contributes to the response strategy, develops concept notes, assists with development of full proposals, and liaises with in-country donor representatives.
The Emergency Medical Coordinator facilitates and leads critical elements of the disaster medicine curriculum at Medical Teams Hostile Environment Awareness Training and Humanitarian Principles course.
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Prepare For Responses
- Collaborates with HRT to execute the Humanitarian Response Plan and continuously improve it to learn from previous responses and improve effectiveness.
- Develops humanitarian health capacity through training for staff at headquarters, country offices and the Medical Teams Humanitarian Response Roster of volunteers.
- Leads engagement and protocol development with the World Health Organization Emergency Medical Team (EMT) initiative and the verification process, as well as assessment of requests for Type 1 EMT deployments in close coordination with global Health Advisors and HQ support functions.
- Develops and maintains professional links within the health sector, institutional health donors, ministries of health, other (I)NGOs.
- Contributes to global health guidelines and standards in coordination with the Technical Team.
- Deploys immediately when an emergency response is initiated; acts as Medical Coordinator, with responsibility for the assessment, design, and quality implementation of health programming.
- Contributes to development of concept notes and proposals for institutional funding.
- Collaborates with the Senior Response Manager to define the response strategy in accordance with Medical Teams strengths of direct primary health care, health systems strengthening, sexual reproductive health and community health.
- Designs health staffing structures in line with response strategy, including clinical staffing roles, community health, and health systems strengthening components, as applicable in a response.
- Incorporates utilization of international clinical volunteers into a response, when appropriate.
- Ensures MEAL monitoring systems are in place in accordance with Medical Teams guidance and standards.
- Supports the recruitment of national health staff to implement response strategy and oversee their work and utilization of any expatriate volunteers in a response.
- Manages health program staff and in the event of being appointed team leader manages all operations during the emergency phase of a response.
- In close collaboration with the Field Operations Technical Team, support emergency responses in existing global programs.
- Ensures implementation of and compliance with MTIs Safety & Security Policy and standards for MTI operations.
Support Responses While Not Deployed
- Support the field team in development of concept notes, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning.
- In coordination with Global Programs and HQ Technical Team, provides technical assistance and guidance to Country Offices in implementing health responses based on assessments, recommendations, and program outputs.
- Liaises with Field Operations team to explore new programs, partnerships, handovers and funding opportunities to facilitate organizational growth and to avoid duplication of services.
- Represents the HRT to other departments in Medical Teams for medically relevant issues and liaises closely with Global Programs and Technical Team.
- Ensures the safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, and Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and Employee Code of Conduct policies.
- Ensures accountability is integrated into country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff onboarding, trainings and performance management, partnership agreements, and highlighted in reporting.