The successful Senior Director of Philanthropy will be a strong leader who combines strategic thinking, energetic relationship-building, and an aptitude for guiding others in the development and implementation of strong fundraising support practices. The person will be adept at building relationships both externally and internally, with donors and volunteers as well as with colleagues in all WFP USA teams and within a large, complex organization. Additionally, this person will be passionate about applying all of these skills to WFP USA’s mission, and will be completely comfortable working proactively and energetically with a diverse group of people to advance it.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit development
- At least 5 years in a role with staff management responsibilities in fundraising support.
- Prior experience working with colleagues in diverse roles and noteworthy skills in collaboration
- Facility with complex programmatic work
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven ability to provide strategic direction and daily oversight for teams with different skill sets and functions.
- History of strategic and creative thinking that has demonstrably increased a donor base and revenue.
- Experience effectively engaging and leveraging leaders, Board members, and senior staff in the fundraising process.
- Understanding of best practices in comprehensive, cross-functional support functions.
- Familiarity with systems and processes required for donor portfolio management, from prospect research techniques to best practices for donor acknowledgement and stewardship.
- Experience using fundraising and prospect software/tools to build an individual major giving program. Salesforce preferred.
- Ability to manage confidential information and observe donor privacy protocols.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
Personal Characteristics and Work Style
- Collaborative and team-oriented individual who can engage and motivate others in a wide variety of functions across an organization.
- Articulate and polished in interactions with high-level individuals and groups.
- Excellent speaker, listener, and writer.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program priorities.