The Residential Counselor is a Direct Service member of the Residential Team. The Residential Counselor provides quality care to residents to facilitate growth and development of the skills necessary for independent living through training and assistance in core service areas in accordance the Individualized Service Plan, certifying/regulatory bodies including OMH/OPWDD/HUD, and Gateway’s goals.
• Record, monitor, and review Individual Service Plans/Residential Habilitation Plans for assigned caseload.
o Record Progress Notes on a monthly basis on Individual Service Plan goals and objectives as well as an overall description of residents’ progress or lack of progress in program.
o Carry out specific program activities with residents in accordance with the established Individual Service Plan
o Ensure provisions of care are directly related to the Individual Service Plan and individualized plan of nursing services for any resident that requires it including medication administration.
• Work with residents and assigned caseload on goals and daily living skills to foster growth and independence per Individual Service Plans
o Conduct visits as scheduled with residents.
o Train, assist, and monitor residents in social skills, personal budget development, preparation of weekly menu plans, food shopping, use of public transportation services, planning and implementing recreational activities or others areas needing assistance or support.
o Provide a supportive environment and function as a positive role model for the residents through appropriate dress and behavior
o Supervise residents in performing general housekeeping duties to ensure household cleanliness and safe living environment. Provide assistance and training as needed.
o Provide necessary transportation when public transportation is not available.
o Counsel residents during crisis situations as needed. Advise the Residential Manager of crisis situations and report incidents per agency and regulatory requirements.
o Observe and record in the log book and case notes unusual behavior, incidents, medical problems, upcoming appointments, and any changes in residents’ programs.
• Maintain all medical, financial, and program records for assigned caseload under the guidance of Residential Management.
o Ensure that medical documentation for assigned residents are up to date and properly documented and stored per agency and regulatory policy and procedure.
o Monitor financial records for assigned residents. Assist residents with usage of funds and in following agency and regulatory guidelines. Reports issues to the Residential Manager.
o Ensure records for all assigned residents are kept up to date. Submit Progress Notes in a timely manner. Document, submit, and store any resident incident reports in appropriate location.
o Conduct Health & Safety Inspections and Fire Drills of residence. Report concerns to the Residential Manager.
• Monitor medications for residents as needed under the guidance of Residential Management.
o Administer medications appropriately and accurately under the supervision of the Residential Manager and per Individualized Service Plans and nursing plans. Follow all agency and regulatory guidelines for proper administration and documentation.
o Ensure residents are taking medications correctly. Document and report any issues with medication administration to the Residential Manager and Residential Nurse.
o Be sure that all scripts are up to date and filled. Properly dispose of any unneeded or expired medications.
• Complete all required trainings and certifications including annual Regulatory Training, CPR certification, and Medication Administration Certification (AMAP) when assigned. Complete certification renewals in a timely manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
Health, Safety, & Compliance
• Maintain a work environment in a clean, organized, and safe manner. Conduct daily inspections of work areas to look for unsafe conditions
• Use all required safety devices and personal protective equipment.
• Actively participate in health and safety practices and accident prevention
• Ensure all accidents are reported to supervisor and Human Resources.
• Be familiar with the Health & Safety Program and abide by all safety and health rules, work practices, and regulations.
• Demonstrate positive work attitudes and habits.
• Maintain a clean and neat appearance consistent with agency standards and act as a role model
• Attend all required meetings and trainings
• Participate in training programs for professional growth as scheduled and approved
• Responsible for understanding and adhering to Gateway Hudson Valley's Corporate Compliance Policy and Standards of Conduct as well as all applicable program rules, regulations and policies. Keep abreast of any changes or modifications to policies or regulations. Ensure that all staff are knowledgeable of applicable regulations, laws, and policies
• Perform other duties as assigned