The Journals Editorial Assistant/Permissions Coordinator is responsible for acting as a main editorial office contact by answering author and reviewer inquiries regarding manuscript submissions, maintaining accurate database files, preparing correspondence regarding publication decisions, and providing assistance to the editorial staff. In addition, this individual assists the Licensing and Subsidiary Rights Manager in processing requests to reproduce, translate, or otherwise use content under APA copyright while also procuring permission to reproduce outside material in APA journals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Act as customer service representative for the editorial office.
- Answer main telephone line for editorial office. Respond to author and reviewer queries; screen and route calls for other staff members.
- . Monitor the email accounts for all of American Psychiatric Associations (APA) journals. All emails will be answered and/or addressed within one business day.
- Prepare Editor to-do lists. Create regular emails for the Editors that includes the following information: new manuscripts just added to the Editors box, manuscripts that need additional reviewers and manuscripts ready for the Editors decision.
- Create weekly decision report. Compile a report of all decisions submitted during the week for the Editors final review and approval..
Monitor peer review progress
- Thoroughly check in all submitted papers to ensure adherence to submission requirements
- Determine editor assignments for journals with multiple decision editors, invite reviewers from Editor recommendations and monitor invitation accepts/declines. Review queues for each journal to make papers move through the process in a timely manner and that no paper is unknowingly stalled in the process.
- Process accepted manuscripts.
- Transfer manuscripts from one APA journal to another. Ensure smooth article transfer from one title to another by taking all relevant information from submissions peer review experience at one journal and replicating it as a new submission requiring a publication decision at the transferee journal.
- Assist in maintaining the manuscript tracking database by adding suggested reviewers as permanent potential reviewers in the database, merging of duplicate user accounts, updating keywords and keeping user contact information up to date. Monitor bounce-back message undeliverable notices to determine when user accounts need to be updated with current email addresses. Perform internet searches to locate current emails for registered users.
Coordinate Book Forum
1) Send invitations to potential book reviewers
2) Follow-up with reviewers on the status of their book reviews
3) Maintain reviewer database
Handle permission and licensing requests for Publishing content
- Assist Licensing and Subsidiary Rights Manager in processing requests by learning system for handling, recording, and providing price quotes for requests to reproduce, translate, or in any way use content under APA copyright
- Serve as primary contact and permission granter in managers absence
- Obtain permission for use of borrowed material in APA publications
Various administrative duties as assigned
- On occasion we do solicit editorial or other special submissions from thought leaders and as a courtesy upload their submission on their behalf. This would involve proxying as all individuals in the process, uploading the paper as the author and then accepting it as the Editor.
- Each year for each publication a report is run listing all of the individuals submitting a review over a 12-month period. This list is then checked for completeness (degrees, full names) so that it can be handed over to production for publishing in an end-of-year expression of thanks