We believe in transforming relationships. We have a team that is participating in life transformation in some of the most desperate and forgotten corners of our city. God is doing something significant, right now at the Mission. Do you want to be a part of it?
For 88 years, Seattle's Union Gospel Mission take our calling to love our homeless neighbors very seriously. Our efforts help move people to healthy, thriving lives. We start by learning their names, their stories, and providing first for urgent physical needs, building relationships, and then offering long-term recovery programs. Currently, we have 11,199 homeless neighbors living in the greater Seattle vicinity. More than 1/3 of those who are homeless are struggling with mental illness. 32% of King County's homeless wrestle with addiction. You can be a part of the solution and join the team.
The CE team develops relationships and works with local churches with the goal of having them serve the more than 12,000 homeless individuals in the Seattle area ideally in partnership with the Mission.
The Senior Church Engagement Representative (SCER) represents the Mission to area churches. They build relationships with local church/ministry leaders and lead the process to develop more formal partnerships with the Mission.
The SCER leads the formal development of the trainings/workshops/supporting materials and also leads these workshops to audiences sometimes in the hundreds. They also lead other special events/trainings for churches, the Ambassador program, and other CE programs for churches. Given that a frequent request from churches is for an individual to preach during their Sunday worship service, the SCER is also expected to develop a sermon and preach from the pulpit as requested.
The SCER also helps develop and successfully implement the teams annual strategic plan, ensures that the CE team achieves its goals, works collaboratively with other Mission departments, networks area churches with homelessness ministries, helps drive the training/workshops and other duties as assigned by the Senior Director Shared Services.
Essential Job Duties
- Helps with the Mission efforts in building relationships with local church/ministry leaders and mobilizing the local church as guided by CE goals and strategies with the goal of moving churches to actively involved on homelessness
- Build relationships with Pastors and educate them on homeless and a biblical response
- Leads the development and also teaches the six workshops on homelessness. The audience size could range to less than ten to hundreds of individuals.
- Leads the development and implementation of Missions Ambassador program
- Helps churches concept and launch a ministry to the homelessness in their church
- Provides Mission insights and expertise to help churches understand the scope and severity of the issue, the biblical perspective, the Missions approach and next steps to take ideally in partnership with the Mission.
- Increase churches engagement on homelessness including volunteering with and donating to the Mission.
- Helps with strategic development on how to best engage and involve churches and their congregations.
- Develop strategic plans to increase involvement with high impact churches.
- Speaks/preaches at church services or events about UGM, the homeless crises and On-Ramps.
- Strategizes with Senior Pastors, Church leaders and UGM Staff around church involvement with the homelessness crisis.
- Regularly seeks out new church partnerships by networking and attending events.
- Assist with grants or other related written needs as requested by churches.
- Provides timely and accurate updates and reports of progress and activity to all parties concerned.
- Helps develop, implement CEs strategic plan and goals.
- Coordinate with appropriate Mission staff across departments to leverage Mission resources and expertise in support of church partners.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and trainings, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.