Title: Census Outreach Worker
Reports to: Census Captain/Census Manager
Status: Part-Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Location: Long Island City, NY
The United States Constitution requires a population count—or census—every 10 years. The census determines every state's proportional representation in Congress as well as its share of federal funds for health care, education, housing, economic development, social services, roads, transportation, and more. In light of the resources that are at risk and the fact that the State of New York could lose up to two congressional seats in the case of a 2020 census undercount, it is critically important that all New Yorkers, especially those from historically undercounted communities, are counted.
To support a fair and complete count, The Fortune Society is working in partnership with the City University of New York (CUNY), Mayor de Blasio’s NYC Census 2020 office, and the New York City Council to mobilize New Yorkers to self-respond to the 2020 census.
The Fortune Society is seeking exceptionally qualified candidates for the role of Census Organizer. Census Organizers will: educate community members about the significance of the census and the importance of census self-response; identify and dismantle barriers to census participation; ask and encourage New Yorkers to self-respond to the 2020 census; and connect them to the tools and resources they need to self-respond.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Working under the leadership of The Fortune Society’s Census Captain and/or Census Manager, the Census Organizer will:
- Build strong relationships with historically undercounted New Yorkers in order to encourage census self-response;
- Engage New Yorkers about the census through a variety of activities, including canvassing, tabling, phone-banking, text-banking, town halls, teach-ins, and other types of events;
- Track census engagement activities using both qualitative and quantitative methods;
- Adhere to all data security and privacy protocols around census engagement;
- Participate in trainings and professional development opportunities;
- Support volunteer recruitment and training activities.