The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Tree Canopy Management & Preservation Program Manager. This is a position within the Community Development Department.
Combine your passion for trees and people to make a positive impact in the Brookhaven community. Trees provide a plethora of social, economic, environmental, and aesthetic benefits. This position is the opportunity to share your knowledge about the most effective practices used to maintain and establish healthy, resilient urban forests that benefit all Brookhaven residents.
As the citywide Tree Canopy Management & Preservation Program Director, you will use your excellent verbal and written skills to communicate and network about the importance of urban forest maintenance and management and will engage stakeholders through online and other tools and site-based presentations. The position serves as the city’s enterprise-wide resource to internal departments and the community. The information you provide will assist the city in developing programs that are sustainable, effective, and publicly supported. The position provides support to citizen advisory boards, tree advocacy groups, and non-profit organizations engaged in urban forestry grants and projects.
You will be challenged by diverse projects and the fast pace of the city. Bring your innovative ideas with you and help us grow Brookhaven’s arborist team.
This position requires a background in arboriculture, horticulture, or related field and strong organizational and communication skills.
Essential Job Functions:
• Facilitate the city’s tree canopy and management goals
• Oversees technical staff responsible for implementing the city’s tree ordinance, permit review, site inspections, etc.
• Represents the city on external boards, agencies, associations, etc. as assigned
• Survey neighborhoods to determine site suitability, above and underground utility locations, tree species, tree basin readiness and specific neighborhood context.
• Conduct community meetings for planting groups to explain the city planting process, property owner responsibilities, and schedule.
• Coordinate with Parks & Recreation Department on tree locations, existing conditions and tree species as needed.
• Manage the city’s update of the tree ordinance and tree canopy study, as needed
• Monitor and report on the city’s tree fund
• Approve tree locations and mark sidewalks for cutting as needed, observing USA markings and all city guidelines.
• Coordinate tree species selection, contractors and material orders necessary to complete planting projects.
• Conduct post-planting surveys on all trees planted, and perform necessary tree care including re-tying, re-staking and sometimes replanting.
• Complete Project Reports in a timely fashion, providing complete and accurate information on accounting and the project narrative, enabling others to invoice and report to funders.
• Maintain and track materials and trees in inventory and provide accurate records as needed.
• Work with citizens / contractors / other stakeholders to address concerns & resolve complaints
• Plan / organize / direct / supervise work of several tree maintenance contract crews ensuring all work is completed according to contract specifications
• Update tree inventory pertaining to City work
• Provide technical & administrative direction / support for Land Development Division within the Department of Community Development
• Use electronic plan review, permitting, and other software
• Assign work / coach / provide corrective discipline
• Track performance / prepare informational & analytical reports / spreadsheets / implement changes in practices
• Assist with large scale storm response & emergency response as needed
• Perform other assigned arborist tasks