Position Summary: The Development Assistant works closely with the Lead Development Associate to process all incoming donations, balance daily accounts, produce database reports, and generate donor acknowledgements in a timely manner, as well as assisting with the overall performance of all of our donor database programs. Responsible for maintaining high standards in data entry, data accuracy, database management and reporting. Assists the Lead Development Associate in training and scheduling Development office volunteers. Assists in providing exceptional customer service to constituents over the phone and by email. He/she also performs regular cleanup of Seattle Humane’s fundraising database. Supports the mission, goals and philosophy of Seattle Humane.
He/she has a working knowledge of duties related to the Lead Development Associate position and is able to act as a back up as necessary for that position. He/she also understands and is able to train team members on the job duties required for the Part Time Development Assistant and Seasonal Temporary Data Entry Clerk positions, as well as Development volunteers.
Key or Essential Functions:
1. Creates, updates and maintains all donor records in an efficient and effective manner.
2. Prepares acknowledgements for mailings and assists with bulk mailings as needed.
3. Assists in answering incoming calls and responds to voicemail and email messages promptly and professionally. Communicates with constituents by phone, email and regular mail to both answer and ask questions, as well as to obtain payment for pledges and donation/purchase balances.
4. Performs Matching Gift verification both offline and online.
5. Works with the Development team members to produce acknowledgments for all gifts in an appropriate and timely manner. Edits acknowledgements produced to ensure that they fit the type of donation. This includes:
- Daily Gift acknowledgements
- Honor/Memorial acknowledgements
- Operations acknowledgements
- In-Kind acknowledgements
- Ad Hoc acknowledgements
6. Processes fundraising revenue and donations made through the office and during events.
7. Assists the Lead Development Associate in reconciling balanced accounts as necessary with the Finance Department.
8. Enters standard high dollar ($500+) donations and acknowledges the gifts on the donor’s record.
9. Monitors compliance with policies regarding data entry, confidentiality, records management and other policies and procedures.
10. Provides ideas and suggestions to improve database and data entry functions.
11. Works closely with the Lead Development Associate to follow established priority lists.
12. Assists the Lead Development Associatewith the training, scheduling, and encouragement of office volunteers.
13. Assists with coordination of large mailings, and assists with list maintenance and clean-up.
14. Maintains appropriate files and records. Adheres to the files and records retention policy and procedures.
15. Strives for efficient use of work time, and organizes completion of tasks based on an established priority system.
16. Handles sensitive and confidential information in a professional manner.
17. Assists with special events as needed.
- Supports all Donor Services positions, and helps with ad hoc projects as the need arises.
- Assists all Donor Services positions with established data entry standards and guidelines.
- Assists to ensure that appearance of office meets or exceeds set standards of appearance.
- Helps with errands, meeting or event preparation.
- Supports organization events as the need arises.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Daily verbal or written communication with staff and volunteers through direct contact, meetings, written procedures, email, memos, charts, signs, telephone or mail.
- Daily contact with customers by telephone, email, direct contact or through the mail.
COMPLEXITY: Recurring work on a daily and monthly basis with some diversity. Must be able to manipulate information within the donor software and assist in creating imports, exports and queries between various programs. Must be able to learn and master technological updates within the databases and entry processes quickly and frequently. Must be comfortable maintaining daily priorities accurately and efficiently, while handling ad hoc tasks as they arise. Must be able to deal with an active environment and constant interruptions while accurately entering data and concentrating on daily tasks. In tasks requiring typing and editing, must be detail-oriented to catch errors. High level of formal policies and procedures exist to guide work and medium degree of independent judgment needed.