American Councils is currently seeking a qualified consultant to serve as a Japanese-speaking Resident Director to work on a summer Japanese language program approximately eight weeks in length. The program is designed for undergraduate and graduate students and is focused on the acquisition of Japanese language in an immersion setting. Applicants should provide a description of previous experience in Japan in their cover letter. The program location is subject to change prior to program start. Consultant agreements include a scaled compensation fee structure in the event of a cancellation 6 weeks or less before the start of the program.
Resident Directors represent American Councils on programs overseas. Resident Directors will work with the host institution, manage communications between American Councils, program participants and local staff, arrange logistics for the group, and advise participants as required and resolve medical and other issues, as necessary.
Resident Directors must be available to program participants on a daily basis; observe classes at the host institution; meet regularly with teachers, administrators, and participants; and arrange group travel and cultural programs and other events and activities focused on the immersion experience. Resident Directors must be available to participants during any emergencies that arise and must communicate regularly with American Councils program staff in Washington, DC. Resident Directors are not allowed to leave the program site or group excursions to conduct personal travel. Resident Directors oversee a small program budget and are responsible for proper documentation of program expenditures and timely completion of a budget report at the end of each month and at the end of the program. Other reporting requirements may apply.
Prior to departure, Resident Directors will be required to complete an orientation program. Resident Directors may be asked to travel with their respective participant groups at the beginning of their programs and return to Washington, DC with the group at the end of the program. In some cases, Resident Directors may be asked to travel to the program site in advance of the students’ arrival. Resident Directors report to the DC-based Program Manager and staff. Completion of a successful background check may be required. All offers are contingent upon ability to receive and maintain a visa to the host country.
ANTICIPATED CONTRACT DATES:
May - August 2021 (exact dates will vary by program specifics). Resident Director training dates will be announced separately.
- Being responsible for and available to a group of American undergraduate and graduate students at all times during the program;
- Advising program participants as needed on a variety of language learning, cultural, adjustment and logistical issues, including on issues such as group dynamics and interpersonal relationships;
- Reporting on program activities to program staff in Washington, DC, or staff in the host country;
- Responding to participant emergencies, including assisting participants with securing medical care and navigating local clinics and hospitals;
- Supporting students from diverse backgrounds as well as students who have never traveled abroad before;
- Liaising with the host institution and local program staff;
- Observing the academic program;
- Arranging group travel and cultural programs;
- Maintaining adherence to program rules and policies among participants, including a language policy;
- Managing a small budget of program funds and maintaining detailed financial documentation, including monthly reports;
- Collecting and tagging photographs and videos from students and local staff;
- Completing a pre-departure orientation and training session;
- Working with host families, which may include selection and monitoring of host families, conducting site visits, maintaining weekly communication, and conflict resolution;
- Supervising the work of an assistant;
- Resolving other program-related issues as necessary; and
- Performing other program-related tasks as directed.