WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
This position is a key member of PlanPhilly’s editorial team, providing daily coverage of Philadelphia’s planning and development news for WHYY multi-media platforms including website and radio. This position will focus on news that affects the environment and/ or public health with an emphasis on environmental justice.
This position is responsible for enterprise reporting, strong writing and audio production on deadline, sharp editing, and impeccable news judgement. A knowledge of interest in covering PlanPhilly’s core subject areas (urban development and design, infrastructure, neighborhoods, and planning in Philadelphia) is essential. The ideal candidate would be bilingual and feel comfortable reporting on non-English speaking communities. If you are bilingual, please identify second language and competency level in cover letter.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works independently to research and generate story ideas.
- Research, report, and produce news feature stories.
- Edit stories for content, copy, accuracy, and style for PlanPhilly team as needed.
- Present and workshop story ideas at editorial/production meetings.
- Help develop, coordinate, lead, and produce feature series and events ideas, developing programs and new projects.
- Use social media to cultivate contacts and promote work.
- Cultivate and maintain sources.
- Prepare stories for publishing online.
- Work odd hours as news or events require.
- Keep current with news, local events and national trends in urbanism.
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
PERIODIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Photography for publication online responsible for taking and posting pictures.
- Assist in fundraising campaigns.
- Participate in community events.