The Editorial Manager is responsible for the editorial management for the FOCUS journal, including its annual self-assessment examination, by working with the Editor of FOCUS to plan issues and develop material for the journal and overseeing the timely preparation of research articles and other content accepted for publication, ensuring that content meets standards of editorial quality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Plan issues and develop content for issues through weekly meetings with the Editor.
Act as the liaison between guest editors, authors, and the Editor, issuing regular deadline reminders, tracking manuscripts through an online submission system, organizing peer review, handling revisions, pulling together a list of influential publications and issue quiz questions submitted by contributors, and collecting author disclosures.
Work with the Focus Self-Assessment editorial board to develop question writing assignments, organize an editorial meeting, assign question review, conduct final editorial team review of exam, and prepare the final 126-question annual examination.
Coordinate with the Division of Education on bringing a subject matter covered by an issue for presentation as a session at the APA Annual Meeting.
Oversee the timely preparation of research articles and other content accepted for publication, reviewing manuscripts copyedited by freelancers to ensure that the level of editing is appropriate and meets standards for style, grammar, accuracy, and presentation. Review and validate type and digital tagging (XML) specifications to meet typesetter and online platform vendor requirements. Confer with authors about their edited manuscripts and page proofs to ensure accurate incorporation of alterations and satisfactory resolution of problems/issues.
Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors degree with 5 years of editorial experience.
- Demonstrated editing, proofreading, and writing skills, with careful attention to detail.
- Project management experience.
- Must be highly organized and attentive to detail and able to rigorously follow up on tasks and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience in working under pressure, prioritizing multiple tasks, and adhering to strict deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to work independently to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain a high level of productivity.
- Diplomacy and customer service skills to assist APA member-authors in communicating the results of scholarly research and in providing feedback to freelancers.
- Ability to work well with other members of the editorial team.
EOE, including disability/vets