New Roads School provides an inspired college preparatory program from which an authentically diverse student population, mirroring the rich diversity of Los Angeles, develops a personal dedication to learning, a respect for independent thinking, an expanding curiosity about the world and its people, and a commitment to the common good.
The Long Term Substitute is a professional, experienced and passionate educator with teaching experience in Physics at the upper school level (grades 9-12).
Status: Part-Time Temporary, Exempt
Assignment: Through October 11, 2019
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to use conventional and unconventional tools to explore Science and follow the interests of students in a measured and meaningful way
- Plan and teach science at an Upper School level (grades 9 -12)
- Encourage scientific literacy and inquiry-based thought on a daily basis
- Incorporate multiple techniques of instruction, including discussion, hands-on labs and activities, independent writing assignments, and the use of all appropriate visual aids
- Communicate and enforce high expectations and standards for behavior and performance
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development
- Participate in department, school, and parent meetings
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Understand theories related to upper school school (grades 9-12) students’ developmental milestones and socio-emotional lives
- Will maintain and communicate high expectations and boundaries in a consistently kind, clear and respectful manner.
- Maintain a climate of trust and mutual respect, which encourages students to risk asking questions, expressing their opinions, and making mistakes necessary to learning process.
- Differentiate for individual students based on their unique learning needs so all students are appropriately engaged and challenged
- Ensure students are engaged through activities and technology that accommodate various learning styles, personality styles,behavioral styles, and the need for physical movement
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to create interdisciplinary units that teach grade-level content knowledge and skills through Science
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting big goals by frequently checking for understanding and formative assessment
- Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parent/ guardians remaining sensitive to different families cultures, values and needs.
- Show concern for and nurture the student’s intellectual, social, emotional, ethical, and aesthetic development
- A commitment to supporting the holistic development of the student, both inside and outside of the class
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, New Roads philosophy and approach to education.
- Demonstrate commitment to social justice and working with a diverse community.
- Show experience and interest in differentiated instruction, project-based, constructivist approach teaching and learning, as well as portfolio, authentic, and performance assessment.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of subject matter, including grammar, and effectiveness in teaching.
- Desire to teach reading comprehension skills and building vocabulary.
- Knowledge of supporting the metacognitive skills and learning strategies to access the disciplines
- Knowledge of how to teach students to use textbooks, as well as other resources
- Desire and ability to collaborate across disciplines
- Provide students with opportunities and support in the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills,the exploration of ideas, and the development of leadership qualities
- Other duties as assigned