Middlesex YMCA Kids’ Korner
Locations: 12 elementary schools in Middletown, Portland, and Cromwell
Hours: Flexible Hours Available
Position Title: Group Leader
Reports to: Site Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared Date: August 3, 2020
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Group Leaders are on-site childcare workers through the YMCA that work at the before and after school programs located at the elementary schools in Middletown, Cromwell, and Portland and at the Distance Learning Program providing childcare during the day.
Plan, organize, and facilitate developmentally appropriate recreational, enrichment, and learning activities.
- Plan daily theme related activities that meet the diverse needs of children in the program using both personal experience and the curriculum and resources provided.
- Expected to be prepared and organize to facilitate daily activities as outlined on the activity schedule.
- Expected to take initiative and leadership in involving children in the planning of projects and following through with the implementation of the project ideas.
- Help with the daily set up of the program space and clean up of the program space.
- Maintain program facility and equipment. Rotate equipment to keep children’s interest and provide them with new opportunities to explore and create.
Provide a safe, nurturing, and respectful environment for children in the program.
- Ensure that children are properly supervised at all times.
- Use the 1*2*3 System to provide routine discipline to children.
- Promote positive social interaction through the modeling of appropriate communication and problem solving.
- Enforce rules and appropriate consequences.
- Establish and maintain boundaries in program space and outdoors.
- Remain engaged with children, maintaining an enthusiastic and committed attitude.
- Provide age appropriate materials for children keeping children involved in positive, productive activity.
- Follow all YMCA policy and procedure regarding discipline, supervision, communication, and appropriate interaction.
- Maintain a professional appearance. Dress in clothing that is comfortable and appropriate for active participation in all program activities.
Provide daily communication with parents, collect fees, and provide documentation when necessary.
- Provide parents with ongoing information regarding their children’s experience in the program.
- Provide well written documentation of any injury, accident, or incident as required by policy.
- Interact with parents during parent night events.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Collect fees, record fees, and place fees in required location. Collect required paperwork. When necessary, in the absence of the site director, bring checks and other paperwork to the YMCA.
Maintain a positive working relationship with school personnel, and YMCA colleagues.
- Maintain professional boundaries and open communication with school personnel.
- Bring concerns regarding the school to the attention of the site director.
- Ensure that school property and equipment are well maintained and protected from inappropriate use.
- Work in partnership with YMCA colleagues to assure the best possible outcomes for children in the program.
- Communicate and problem solve with colleagues using positive and effective strategies, providing an example for the children in the program.
- Assure that as a member of the team you have completed all tasks as assigned.
- Speak positively about the YMCA Programs, co-workers, school personnel, and supervisors.
Follow all YMCA Kids’ Korner Policy and Procedure and State of Connecticut Licensing Mandates.
- Read and have a strong working knowledge of the YMCA Kids’ Korner Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Have a strong working knowledge of State of CT Licensing Regulations.
- Abide by all policy, procedure, and program rules.
- Understand Mandated Reporter and Child Abuse Prevention Responsibilities.
- Report any incident of inappropriate behavior or breach of policy to your supervisor.
- Maintain certifications, documented training hours, and required paperwork in your personnel file.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The YMCA of Northern Middlesex County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other protected group status under federal, state or local law.