- Education: Minimum requirement of Masters in Special Education with commitment to obtain O&M certification.
- Special Knowledge or Skills: Excellent written and verbal communications; Proficient to develop and follow IEP goals; proficient in use of Internet, email, and standard software applications (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); Knowledge of Braille, Orientation & Mobility, Assistive technology for the blind, magnification, and adaptations for students with varying degrees of vision loss preferred.
- Experience: Experience teaching in Special Education preferred.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
- Physical: Able to travel independently and supervise field trips with children. Able to manage outdoor activities in the summer. Able to perform duties as related to itinerant teaching. Able to travel throughout the facility to safely and effectively manage all work responsibilities, breaks, and emergency evacuations, with or without a reasonable accommodation. Able to manage all self-care needs and activities of daily living as required to support successful employment, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Personality Traits: Maintain professional appearance and attitude appropriate to the position. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Ability to respond to directions and suggestions. Ability to assume responsibility for project completion. Ability to work independently and with a team. Ability to maintain focus on work in a dynamic environment. Ability to solve problems effectively and demonstrate good attention to detail.
- Working Conditions: Various classroom settings throughout school district; Occasional outdoor and sports activities with youth; must be able to travel to multiple locations independently.
- Work Schedule: Full-time 40 hours per week with weekend work as necessary.
- Background Check and Drug Test Required: Employment is contingent based upon satisfactory results.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. The incumbent in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operation of the Division/Department upon request by his/her supervisor.
Accomplishments in these areas of responsibility will be the basis of the employees evaluation, continuation of employment and change in compensation.
Lighthouse Louisiana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.