We are seeking teaching staff that will set a new standard of exceptional by creating an environment of:
- Inclusivity. Creating a safe place and sense of community for children and their families.
- Patience and understanding. You understand that children learn their behaviors through observation and take the time to build trust and teach new coping mechanisms.
- Passion for teaching. A commitment to children’s growth, development, and radically redefining education.
- Commitment to equity and justice. A dedication to ensuring that the children of Detroit have access to quality education, support, and tools to thrive.
- Strong listening and relationship-building skills. Conversations can be hard and crucial to success. You have to build trust before you can make progress.
- A big heart. You truly care - about your work, the children, their families, and our team. We’re all in this together.
Since the founding of Starfish, we have been building our expertise, embracing best practices, testing new ideas, and helping children and families stabilize and flourish. We do the same for Starfish staff. Taking care of each other is one of our most important values.
Perks and Benefits
- A new benchmark for education. The partnership between Starfish and the University of Michigan to develop a year-round cutting-edge infant/toddler curriculum specifically for diverse children in an urban setting.
- P-20 education model where we build with relationships with families starting from prenatal support to preschool to K-12 and beyond.
- Informed by community, neighbors, parents, and children to develop best practices in behavioral health and early childhood education.
- A whole child focus on behavioral & developmental health services with a culture of Informed Trauma Care.
- 12 spacious classrooms for infants, toddlers, preschoolers up to age 5.
- An open floor plan and design centered around 3 courtyards that flood the rooms with sunshine and create a natural oasis.
- Small class sizes: no more than 8 children in infant/toddler classrooms & 16 children in preschool classrooms.
- Competitive salary with room for advancement, ongoing training, and career development
- Medical insurance for you and your family, that include dental and vision care.
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account options
- 403b Retirement Plan with a company match
- Generous Paid Time Off policy including 10 paid holidays + 3 floating holidays
- Employee Assistance Program