The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the necessary functions of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of operations, services, and activities of an assigned department or division.
- Knowledge of principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures, methods, computer equipment, and software.
- Knowledge of fundamental principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Knowledge of products, services and programs of assigned department.
- Knowledge of English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Independently perform the most difficult administrative support services.
- Interpret, explain and enforce department and/or division policies and procedures, as assigned.
- Perform responsible administrative support assistant work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Perform clerical work including maintenance of appropriate records and compiling information for reports.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Type or word process at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Operate a variety of office machines including a computer.
- Perform routine mathematical calculations.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Three years of responsible secretarial and clerical experience. Training equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized secretarial training.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: None required.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work closely with others in an office environment utilizing a computer and other office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations, communicating with others, reading and writing. The employee is also required to maintain physical condition necessary for operating office equipment, walking, standing, kneeling, repeated bending or sitting for prolonged periods of time.