The Senior Software Application Developer will be based on-campus at either our Port Orange, FL or Davenport, IA location. This role participates in the complete SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle), performing all activities related to the design, development, implementation and deployment of mission-critical organizational information systems and software applications, including scoping, research, design, development, testing, and implementation; maintains, supports, and upgrades existing systems and applications; and applies best practices as well as proven communication and problem-solving skills to guide the process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning
- Lead pre-testing phase of development by evaluating proposals in order to identify potential problem areas and make the appropriate recommendations.
- Ensure that development projects meet business requirements and goals, fulfill end-user requirements, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Review and analyze existing application effectiveness and efficiency, and then act on strategies provided by the IT Leadership for improving or leveraging these systems.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Manage the development and deployment of new applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts in line with current projects and strategic goals.
- Coordinate feasibility studies for software and system products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings.
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Collaborate with analysts, designers, developers, and system owners in new software programs and applications testing.
- Manage and provide direction for the applications team in support of business operations.
- Identify and resolve program errors.
- Provide technical leadership to project managers, analysts and developers working on development project teams.
- Design, develop, and install enhancements and upgrades to systems and application software.
- Liaise with the infrastructure team, and application team members to assist with quality assurance, program logic, and data processing.
- Cultivate, disseminate, and enforce functional policies, procedures, and quality assurance best practices.
- Track application changes, using change management tools and processes, including source code control, versioning, branching, defect tracking and release management.
- Where necessary, prepare, establish, and monitor budgets.
- Administer Microsoft o365 as it relates to SharePoint.
- Assist with development and administration of Salesforce.
- Provide technical direction and support for the enterprise database infrastructure.
- Design, implement, maintain and perform periodic re-evaluation of enterprise database infrastructure and applications management policies, standards and procedures.
- Develop and manage internal procedures including but not limited to code reuse, source libraries, check-out process, turn-over procedures, documentation standards, scope documents and design procedures.
- Perform problem analysis and troubleshooting of the enterprise database infrastructure and help with problem-solving efforts often involving other technical staff, multiple outside vendors, other departments and/or organizations.
- Develop training materials and conduct training sessions of the IT staff and/or departmental customers.
- Create security groups, assigns access, and administers changes for users.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance and regulatory requirements (e.g., PCI, HIPAA, FERPA, etc.) are adhered to for all technology implemented and supported by Palmer College.
- Perform all responsibilities in a manner that fully complies with Palmer’s Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.