About Us: LifeMoves is one of the largest and most effective providers of shelter and supportive services across Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Peninsula. As a results-driven organization, since 1987 our mission has been to provide interim housing and supportive services that create opportunities for homeless families and individuals to rapidly return to stable housing and long-term self-sufficiency. Our successful therapeutic service model combines clean, modern housing with intensive supportive services that promote dignity and motivate our clients to achieve autonomy. LifeMoves operates over 18 major sites from San Jose to Daly City.
Culture: LifeMoves staff are dedicated to serving our community. Diverse in background, outlook and life experience, our team addresses important social issues with passion and creativity. A culture of collaboration and innovation, as well as a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging provides a thriving and successful environment for all. We foster personal growth through ongoing investment in the professional development of our staff. Together, we are committed to breaking the cycle of homelessness and helping our clients achieve long-term self-sufficiency.
LifeMoves seeks an executive with outstanding management, financial and business acumen; one who is focused on working collaboratively with colleagues and Board members to help lead the organization in achieving its mission.
As a member of the Sr. Leadership Team, the Chief Financial Officer will partner with the CEO, Board members and colleagues to contribute to the overall strategic direction of the organization from a financial, business and operational perspective. The CFO will be responsible for creating and maintaining financial compliance for LifeMoves’s public and private funding. The CFO will guide and implement strategies to ensure that LifeMoves’s capital structure, financial systems, and controls support the program strategies and quality expectations for serving Silicon Valley’s homeless population. In addition, the CFO will provide leadership to LifeMoves’ IT organization, developing IT systems and process to ensure that the LifeMoves team has effective IT tools to execute their jobs as well as effective controls to ensure the privacy of the agency and its clients. In the IT role, the CFO will develop strategies to implement new technologies in a cost-efficient manner to best serve the agency.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead a team of 8 people. The Finance team, consisting of a Controller, General Accounting Manager, and 4 accountants, has been stable for over 2 years and is a high performing team. The IT organization consists of a Senior Manager and Associate.
- Provide leadership to LifeMoves in developing long-term and short-term strategy. Work with CEO, Senior Leadership and the Board to evaluate key strategies including growth, sources of funding, new engagements, and organization.
- Build and manage effective and efficient financial processes that support LifeMoves in transacting, accounting, reporting, and planning the activities of the organization.
- Build and manage effective and efficient IT systems and processes that enable LifeMoves’ employees to effectively perform their jobs. Maintain a stable network to support LifeMoves key cloud-based management systems. Implement and maintain effective security systems.
- Effectively communicate the financial and business objectives and strategies, financial performance, and operational metrics of the company to the Board of Directors, The Finance Committee and executive management. Lead financial review processes for senior leadership and program management.
- Create and maintain internal controls, systems, and reporting processes in accordance with Non-Profit GAAP and federal OMB guidelines governing the charging of costs to projects and contracts. Manage the annual audit process, working with the Audit Committee.
- Work with real estate to support new and existing facilities in terms of both capital spending, project management, and IT support.
- Maintain productive relationships with peers, mid-level management, while facilitating a customer-oriented philosophy with field personnel. Provide coaching to leadership and management on financial management processes and expectations.
- Direct and coordinate LifeMoves’s budget planning and forecasting processes; manage the appropriate use of LifeMoves’s working capital.
- Lead the team in accounting and financial operations: Monthly Financial Statements; Accounts Receivable and Grants Management – Spend-down reporting; Cash Flow Forecasting; Audit/A-133 Single Audit/990; Payroll Allocations that comply with public funding grants.
- Plan and monitor cash requirements and maintain adequate cash flow. Manage cash reserves with bank partners to maximize yield within the Cash Investment Policy approved by the Finance Committee.
- Work with the grants team and program management to guide strategy for public contracts, which provide over 50% of LifeMoves’ funding. Guide finance team to provide financial assessment and budgets of new/renewal public contract opportunities.
- Work with IT staff and LifeMoves’ outsourced IT service provider to provide technical support to all LifeMoves’ staff. Establish metrics for customer service performance, monitor performance and take corrective actions.
- Develop and manage the overall IT strategy including the current cloud-based user systems (SalesForce, Paycom, and Deltek Cost Point, Network, and Office 365), network needs, and user computers. Establish a prioritization process for change implementation.
- Ensure that the IT organization has effective processes for engaging users in evaluating and implementing new IT needs.