Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and be able to meet the standards of the Mission driver criteria required, including but not limited to:
- Clean driving record
- No current suspensions or revocations
- At least 21 years of age
- A mature, genuine love for God, and a love for and a passion to serve the homeless and needy.
- A gifted leader and communicator, with a passion for evangelism.
- Able to create and facilitate multi-organizational cooperation and partnership.
- Excellent understanding of employment training and systems.
- Excellent communication, management and organizational skills required.
- Ability to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; bend, stoop or reach.
- Regularly lift and/or carry up to 20 pounds.
- Talk on telephone and use computer extensively.
Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in Education, Biblical Studies, Social Services or related field preferred. Master’s Degree preferred.
Minimum of two years of experience working with disadvantaged populations required, specifically in the areas of chronic homelessness, substance addiction, criminal history, inconsistent or negative work history and/or long-term dependency on public assistance programs. Experience strongly preferred in the following areas: adult education, volunteer management, partnership creation, training and development, recruitment, employment and education preparation.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
To serve, rescue and transform those in greatest need, through the grace of Jesus Christ.
To forcefully impact poverty and brokenness, affecting such significant change that our communities point to God!
- Sacred Relationships
- Passionate Urgency
- Strategic Effectiveness
- Courageous Belief
- Innovative and Scrappy