The position will manage, prepare and direct funeral services, conduct and coordinate the delivery of decedent to the mortuary. The position will prepare decedent for services and/or interment. The major objectives are to provide the highest quality services and products and to satisfy the needs of all client families. Geographic boundaries for this position may encompass more than one firm or location in a given area of multiple company operations.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Demonstrate Core Values of Excellence, Trust, Care and Growth in performing all aspects of position.
2. Maintain a positive work environment by behaving and communicating in a manner so that you get along with families, co-workers and management.
3. Remain up-to-date on Navigator reading as assigned.
4. Delivery of decedent to mortuary (where applicable). Most often will make contact with client family members and will effect initial coordination of activities with medical examiner and satisfy other legal requirements, i.e. FTC Rules.
5. Follow company standards by initiating Chain of Custody, personal effects documentation, etc., as job duties require.
6. Wear and use the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times during the performance of the job duties that require such equipment.
7. Comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as outlined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Newcomer Funeral Service Group Policies and Procedures.
8. Perform embalming of decedent and cosmetology according to industry standards and practices, technical, safety and sanitary requirements, and home office direction.
9. Dress and position decedent in casket or alternative container and deliver to visitation area if requested by client family.
10. Maintain record of embalming of all deceased persons for future reference and medical and legal purposes.
11. Maintain all embalming instrumentation and equipment as specified by manufacturer’s instruction.
12. Treat decedent with respect and decorum.
13. Maintain clean operating area and equipment and comply with all governing rules and regulations regarding sanitation and hazardous waste.
14. May be required to perform Pre-arrangement Family Service Associate function of assisting client families with requested service arrangements, selection of funeral merchandise and other products and financial arrangements. Where licensed and applicable.
15. Plan and place casket in visitation area, adjust light fixtures and arrange or supervise arrangement of floral tributes.
16. Direct casket bearers in placement and removal of casket to and from funeral coach, chapel or other place of service and interment location.
17. Advise client families to arrange funerals and supervise funeral service activities in accordance with the individual client family's wishes.
18. Coordinate all service arrangements and details with clergy, other presiding persons, fraternal or military organizations who may participate in the conduct of the funeral service.
19. Possess knowledge of the geographic location of all hospitals, cemeteries, crematories, churches, synagogues, and other places where funeral services may be held including traffic patterns to and from each location and entrance and exit points of each building.
20. Communicate with clergy/celebrant as to their preferences when conducting individual funeral services (i.e. musical preference, open or closed casket, traditional or contemporary attitudes).
21. May lead funeral procession from place of service to interment site.
22. Supervise and assist with visitation by ushering and directing families and visitors of deceased to and from visitation area and where services are conducted.
23. Participate in market outreach activities including one-on-one presentations, group presentations and event participation in accordance with pre-established home office standards in furtherance of our home office business growth objectives; encouraged to participate in community, civic or fraternal organizations and state and local Funeral associations as a part of local promotional and outreach efforts.
24. Supervise and assist the transportation of family members assuring timely departure and arrival as agreed with client family.
25. Arrange family automobiles in funeral procession in accordance with the client family’s wishes.
26. Ensure that all associates participating in a given funeral service are performing their assigned functions and in place at designated times.
27. Arrange and coordinate shipment of decedent to and from other cities and localities.
28. Supervise and assist certain operational and managerial functions in the absence of managing funeral director.
29. Participate in the general upkeep of the building, grounds and cars.
30. Where applicable, be certified to operate crematory retort and follow standard procedures and record keeping.
31. Light housekeeping to keep the facilities and grounds in perfect order. This includes keeping work areas tidy, picking up litter on the grounds and general straightening up.
The above duties are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities for this position, nor are they intended to be a listing of prerequisite skills and abilities. The purpose is to describe the general nature of the position.