The Special Assistant to the CEO enhances the CEO’s leadership through a combination of project management, writing and editing, research, and CEO administrative support. As Special Assistant the incumbent will attend meetings with the CEO/Medical Director, members and partners, track and follow up action items, and drafting or coordinating accurate and timely responses from the CEO’s Office to all internal and external constituencies. You may be asked to make sensitive and critical judgement calls when representing the CEO’s office. The ideal candidate is a highly ambitious, self-starter who is eager to learn and to develop future opportunities and who can work closely with other CEO team members to ensure the office runs seamlessly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the CEO/Medical Director’s workflow and priorities by anticipating activities and responsibilities related to the APA and external organizations through the CEO/Medical Director’s Office
- Provides project management tracking and status reporting on priority projects and programs
- Facilitate the flow of email and telephone communications, assessing the importance and urgency of messages. Coordinates with the appropriate person for follow-up or when appropriate drafts responses for CEO’s review. Ensures urgent issues are brought to the CEO’s attention.
- Collaborates with Executive Assistant to the CEO to ensure scheduling of important events at appropriate times
- Prepares the CEO/Medical Director for, and follows up on, internal and external meetings
- Drafts and edits presentations and talking points for CEO/Medical Director working with the Communications team who provides the initial presentations/talking points, and other staff as needed
- Works closely with APA staff to ensure timely provision of back-up and informational materials
- Supports the CEO Office team on time sensitive follow up items from APA meetings and incoming emails and responses to be sent out
- Attend meetings as needed, tracking action items from meetings, ensuring the CEO stays on schedule and handling unexpected situations.
- Provide members of the Senior Leadership Team leverage in moving projects forward by assisting with information gathering, communicating with different parties, tracking progress, and seeing projects through completion
- Stays abreast of issues important to APA and ensures the CEO/Medical Director is alerted to updates and/or news updates.
- Works closely with the APA Senior Leadership team and counterparts of external organizations in which the CEO/Medical Director represents the Association to coordinate attendance at meetings, speeches, and other activities.
- Takes special care to learn the CEO’s writing and speaking style when drafting responses, presentations, correspondence and talking points
- Actively builds relationships with APA staff members within and outside of the CEO office to create positive relationships on various levels of the organization.
- Monitors and ensures timely responses on the medical specialty CEO list serve. Alerts CEO to such inquiries and responses.
- Maintains CEO and Medical Director Office Items Tracker to ensure all items are tracked and completed, working with the Sr. Administrative Assistant. Ensures all files for the CEO office are organized and up to date.
- Performs other duties as assigned