This professional staff person is responsible for performing assessments, developing a plan of care and implementing and evaluating the care. The RN-Critical administers medications and treatments as ordered by physicians and in keeping with the current clinical nursing practice. Also responsible for directing, monitoring and evaluating the care delegated to non-licensed personnel. The RN-Critical leads the interdisciplinary care team for patients with primarily cardiovascular disease. In addition, the RN-Critical performs a range of technical services in a cross-functional mode to comprehensively serve patient needs. Assumes (under the direction of the Laboratory) responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement and equipment maintenance.
- Documents findings and communicates all pertinent information to interdisciplinary team members as appropriate.
- Provides competent direct care and ensures the provision of a safe and comforting environment resulting in a high level of patient satisfaction.
- Assists healthcare team members in the understanding of hospital policies and procedures.
- Provides education to patients/families/significant others, incorporating population-specific criteria and assessment of readiness to learn.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Administers medications and completes treatments according to hospital policy and within population-specific parameters.
- Maintains all necessary documentation.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient care equipment.
- Coordinates response of the interdisciplinary team to emergency situations.
- Performs Point-of-Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point-of-Care quality control standards
Cath / EP Lab
- Performs patient assessments pre-, peri- and post-procedure.
- Maintains a safe, aseptic environment in the Cath Lab.
- Administers medications as ordered by the physician.
- Maintains competent knowledge of all procedures and adheres to procedure protocol.
- Assists all personnel, patients and physicians as needed.
- Ensures all supplies are available.
- Operates and maintains equipment in good working order.
- Participates in the total maintenance of the department.
- Ensures that patient has an H & P documented by a physician according to appropriate standards prior to procedure.
- Settles patient after procedures and provides accepting RN with concise reports on the patient.