About the Organization
Founded as separate organizations in 1948, Jewish Long Beach and the Barbara and Ray Alpert JCC (AJCC) are the newly merged single agency serving the functions of a Jewish community center, Jewish federation, and Jewish community foundation for the Long Beach and west Orange County areas. Jewish Long Beach and the AJCC administer a wide variety of programs and services, rooted in Jewish values but open to all, including early childhood education, summer camp, and after-school programs, adult education, services for seniors, leadership development, fitness and wellness programs, advocacy, and much more. Jewish Long Beach also awards nearly $500,000 in grants annually to a variety of nonprofit agencies throughout the Long Beach area. The organization owns and operates an eight-acre multi-use campus in east Long Beach and manages approximately $35 million in philanthropic assets.
The Executive Director, Programs (EDP) will serve as a critical member of the executive management team. The EDP is an innovative, creative, and effective leader and is responsible for the comprehensive planning, implementation, management and oversight of all programmatic activities of a dynamic community center and outreach organization. The EDP will lead a collaborative effort to manage day-to-day community programs in collaboration with the CEO and executive management team. The EDP will be a seasoned, mission-focused, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience overseeing program directors and staff, while developing and maintaining a positive culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals. The EDP will articulate and implement the strategic vision of the agency; oversee a significant portfolio of programs and related services including fitness and wellness, Jewish education, arts and culture, active and senior adult engagement, volunteer engagement and membership experience/customer service; evaluate the effectiveness of programs; help to promote and diversify funding through effective resource stewardship; raise the agency’s profile through external communications; provide mentoring, guidance, supervision, and professional development to all program staff; and enhance the structure of the organization by staying abreast of developments in the Jewish Community Center and Jewish Federation movements.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Oversees the coordination, integration, and delivery of all programs, contracts and related services, promoting collaboration, communication, and accountability between program areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, donors, constituents, clients, and other stakeholders are consistently met.
- Manages staff, including select department leads, responsible for carrying out community programming.
- Establishes annual program, departmental, and staff goals and objectives and tracks results against goals and accountability protocols.
- Institutes regular reporting protocols to evaluate program achievements in relationship to established goals.
- Works collaboratively and maintains clear and regular communications with the CEO, Board of Directors, and volunteer leadership, community partners and donors.
- Plans, executes, and facilitates program operations and communications strategies.
- Provides superior mentoring, supervision, and ongoing training and development of program directors and staff to ensure they feel supported to competently run their programs and meet strategic goals of the organization.
- Partners with CEO, board members and volunteers to engage and cultivate JCC and general community members.
- Creates the annual department budget plan and maintains a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Establishes and implements an annual calendar of program activities.
- Serves as primary contact for all program events, coordinating vendors, volunteers, and schedules.
- Solicits support from large corporate donors in coordination with the Executive Director Development and the CEO.
- Directs the development of program promotion, outreach and advertising in coordination with the Marketing Manager.
- Oversees the management of operations database and program registrations.
- Establishes and improves operational implementation, ensuring that each program is working to its full potential and has full integration with other programs.
- Oversees policies and procedures, mission and vision in all program communications plans.
- Works with CEO and CFO to develop annual program revenue goals and plans to diversify and increase organizational budget through a comprehensive strategy of revenue generation.
- Regularly prepares reports including plans, accomplishments and challenges for executive management team and the Board of Directors.