The Student Conservation Association (SCA) has a mission to create the next generation of conservation leaders. SCAs commitment to guiding new and increasingly diverse generations towards conservation leadership has never been more important or relevant to the communities in which we serve. To advance this work in New York City, Newark, and the surrounding region, SCA seeks a City Director to lead local program and partnership development under its Urban Green program.
The City Director is responsible for developing and leading local collaborations with government, community organizations, civic leaders, non-governmental organizations, and other key stakeholders to promote and scale up local conservation and climate action initiatives that increase the regions resilience for those most in need. This position leads the metroregions programmatic vision, strategy, and design by managing and mentoring local operations staff and collaborating with SCA staff across departments. The City Director leads partnership and fundraising efforts to support development of a full continuum of local programming. This position reports to the Senior VP of Program, while also connecting regularly with the VP of Philanthropy and VP of Partnership. This role comes with a starting salary range of $80,000+.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Motivate, inspire, and manage the local team, understand the project work being conducted, and evaluate the metroregions project and program opportunities that align with SCAs mission.
- Serve as the primary contact with local fee-for-service partners and lead budget development.
- Develop vision and content for national, regional, and local proposals, grants, and marketing campaigns that build relationships with partners and funders.
- Develop local and regional networks of partners at all levels (from the community organizations to city officials, state and federal agencies, and national funders) to scale local impact that addresses community priorities, especially for those most in need.
- Develop and manage relationships with local donors, corporations, foundations, fee-for-service partners, local government, and others to fund local programming.
- Track and manage various funding streams to ensure alignment of revenue, expenses, and overall budget management and reporting for the metroregion.
- Establish and meet monthly and annual revenue goals for the region that are consistent with the Urban Green design.
- Plan and facilitate events to convene key stakeholders from the metroregion, and represent SCA at local and regional events, national conferences, and trainings as needed.
- Review, develop, and implement appropriate community engagement strategies that include messages around the role of green space in youth development, public health, job creation, climate justice, and more.
- Work cross departmentally in program, development, marketing, and communications to identify and create stories and case studies demonstrating the regions accomplishments.
- Ensure programs are advancing SCAs goals and the regions priorities around justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI).
- Support local outreach and recruitment efforts for youth placements in individual and team-based opportunities and build continuum opportunities for program alumni to serve in the region.
- Assist local Program staff with the planning and organization of project logistics and ensuring SCA administrative requirements are met.
- Manage bi-weekly NYC/Newark cross-departmental calls.
- Serve as lead budget manager for all programming in the metro region.
- Report, track and respond to Risk Management incidents in accordance with SCA policies and procedures.