Position Title: Animal Keeper/Trainer
Accountable To: Animal Department Supervisor FLSA: Non-exempt
Primary Objective of Position:
The animal keeper is responsible for the care and daily husbandry for the animal species in their assigned areas. This position usually works independently of others and is responsible for a good base knowledge of a majority of the animals in the collection. The animal keeper position is responsible for both daily husbandry of the animals in their assigned area, but also the education and interpretation of the animals for the public.
- Responsibilities include overseeing the daily animal husbandry, feeding, cleaning, animal enclosures, maintenance of animal enclosures, ordering supplies for the department and record keeping for the animal department.
- Other responsibilities include the daily maintenance of animal enclosures which may require repairing and replacing materials in these enclosures.
Supportive Functions/Teamwork Skills:
- The Animal Keeper will serve Jungle Island in any capacity required to support the highest guest standards and animal care standards.
- The Animal Keeper will represent the Jungle Island on relevant community and professional organizations/committees.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Safety and Security:
- The Animal Keeper position is responsible for adhering to all company policies which include, but not limited to, animal escape procedure and inclement weather protocols.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The Animal Keeper needs to have a general understanding of tools and equipment used for the animal department.
- This position requires long hours of standing, walking, bending, and squatting.
- It is a must that this person is physically able to lift and carry up to 20 pounds or more.
- This position may require you to work in adverse weather conditions like rain, cold and the summer heat