The Director of Behavioral Health is responsible for leadership and direction for Behavioral Health Services at all locations of Family Health La Clinica (FHLC). The person in this position collaborates with the teams at FHLC to establish and support integrated Behavioral Health services and programs for patients, under FHLC’s model of care, to ensure patients receive the best overall health care.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative oversight and coordination of the following services: Counseling, Integrated Health Care, Behavioral Health Services, Substance Use Services, Medication Assisted Treatment and Mind Body Medicine services.
- In collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Chief Behavioral Health Officer (CBHO) develops other programs, services, and linkages as they pertain to integrated Behavioral Health Services and are appropriate to meet the needs of FHLC patients, supporting FHLC Strategic goals.
- Responsible for the continued development and oversight of the integrated Behavioral Health program at FHLC.
- Knowledge of the assessment and treatment of the full range of Behavioral Health disorders including familiarity with the use of psychotropic medications. This includes skills in assessments and counseling (short term treatment and crisis intervention), supporting group organization and facilitation, and consultation.
- Ability to lead and manage in a rapidly changing environment.
- Working knowledge of the local community behavioral health resources.
- Knowledge of and commitment to supporting in an integrated model in which Behavioral Health providers work in collaboration with and as part of the clinical care team with all providers at FHLC including but not limited to: primary care providers, behavioral health providers and dental providers.
- Excellent managerial skills with the ability to plan, organize and follow through in a timely manner.
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance in a supervisory role and the flexibility to function as a team member at leadership level.
- Knowledge of legal requirements associated with the provision of behavioral health services, i.e. HIPAA, Chapter DHS 75 and Chapter DHS 35, responding to requests from legal authorities, court orders, and the like regarding patient information and testimony.
- Knowledge of general Behavioral Health practice models and processes such as office procedures, medical records, and health insurance billing.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse individuals and situations including strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to understand and respond effectively and with sensitivity to special populations served by FHLC. Special populations include those defined by race, ethnicity, language, age, sex, sexual orientation, economic standing, disability, migrant and seasonal workers, homeless, people living with HIV/AIDS, and others.
- Knowledge of continuous quality improvement processes.
Staff Competency and Skill Development
- In conjunction with Chief Behavioral Health Director (CBHO), and Behavioral Health clinical supervisor, assists with clinical assessment/competency/oversight and development of clinical staff.
- Participates in the development and review of clinical guidelines.
- Supervises the Behavioral Health Practice Managers to assure management and leadership of Behavioral Health staff, including selection, training, coaching, evaluating, discipline, and timely performance reviews.
- Provides clinical supervision, guidance, and mentoring to newer therapists, ensuring that there is completion of appropriate documentation required by policy and for certification and licensure.
- Works with the CBHO to develop/maintain audits, peer review tools, documentation requirements and processes to ensure compliance.
- Develops and implements a planned, systematic, written process and on-going system for monitoring and improving quality and safety in partnership with the Director of Quality and Compliance (DQC)
- Develops processes for identification, collection and analysis of performance measurement.
- In collaboration with DQC, conducts timely and regular evaluation of incidents, complaints, grievances and related investigations and ensures correction of any observed deficiencies identified through quality improvement process.
- Assures that staff in the Behavioral health department complete mandatory employee trainings, including but not limited to HIPAA health, safety & environment (blood borne pathogens, emergency preparedness, infection control, workplace safety, etc.) fraud, waste and abuse, etc..
- Develop/update policies and procedures related to risk, compliance, and quality as they pertain to the Behavioral Health Program
- Ensures Behavioral Health clinical staff maintain annual malpractice training that meets HRSA and FTCA requirements.
- Ensures that behavior of staff related to health, safety & environment meets company standards
Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitates processes to provide timely in-clinic or outside referrals to other specialty providers as clinically needed.
- Facilitates patient engagement and follow up in Behavioral ealth care with the Behavioral Health teams.
- Maintains appropriate and required standards for the position and state licensure.
- Working with the teams, facilitates access for patients in need of Behavioral Health or Substance Abuse Treatment services
Human Resources duties and responsibilities:
- Participates in the development of recruitment and retention strategies.
- Effectively supervises employees.
- Participates in interviewing and candidate selection process.
- Develops and coordinates new employee orientation and on boarding program within the department.
- Creates and tracks training program within the department.
- Maintains documentation and follows corrective action process.
- Completes performance appraisal process per established policies.
Strategic Planning duties and responsibilities:
- Collaborates with senior leadership in establishing and supporting the accomplishment of strategic goals through the Strategic Plan
- Communicates strategic imperatives to staff regularly at staff meetings.
Budgeting duties and responsibilities:
- Develops annual operating budget.
- Effectively manages expenses for the department.
- Effectively manages staffing to budgeted FTEs.
Additional Responsibilities and Skills
- Demonstrates excellent communication and relationship building skills, with the ability to work effectively.
- Demonstrates excellent public speaking skills.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to effectively investigate, analyze and problem solve.
- Demonstrates proficiency working with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to travel to other Behavioral Health FHLC sites on a regular basis.